Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Exterior Paneling and All Exterior Sidings
Reload this Page >

Removing old siding/cedar shingle siding 100 year old home

Old 10-12-07, 12:21 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Need some advice.

We own a 100 year old home in NJ near NYC. House is colonial revival, like a four square except that it is rectangular with a very high hipped roof, high stone foundation. House currently has aluminum siding with old shakes underneath. In an old bathroom we've seen insulation--don't know what kind.

My question: My husband and I need to rip off the aluminum siding and the old shakes. If we find the old shakes worthy of saving we certainly will do that but we aren't counting on it. I believe that this is the time that we need to look into insulation. Do we blow in insulation from the outside? Don't want to wreck interior plaster. After figuring this out we need to wrap the house. After wrapping we will want a professional to put the cedar shingles on the house. Can this be done during our winter? Will we find the house noticeably colder with both exterior layers gone? Does the home owner more commonly buy the shingles or does the siding person do the ordering? If anyone knows of anybody who is experienced who would be interested in doing this a referral would be much appreciated. We live in Englewood and have 1/2 acre in a country like setting with a wrap around porch so it's a nice place to work. My husband and I have thought about doing the shingling ourselves but we don't have the experience with flashing around windows, etc. I still can't figure out who does the architectural details. Sorry for so many questions. We really need help. The aluminum siding is horrible and I can't wait to return this house to its original glory!!! Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-07, 02:08 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If you are going to insulate, the time to do so, is after the old siding is off. It will be the least intrusive and should not affect you interior in anyway.

I assume by wrap the house , you intend to use Tyvek or an equivelent. Good move.

There is no reason why new siding can't be installed in the winter.

Relative to who buys the siding, who ever gets the best deal. A siding contractor will likely, want to tack on a small profit but he is also likely to get the best price - it should be a wash and besides he will be responsible for overages and underages.

Can't help with recommendations.

Old 10-12-07, 03:55 PM
Group Moderator
Received 643 Votes on 595 Posts
Here's a suggestion: Take your old siding in to a local aluminum recycler (call around and get prices first) and take your old siding in for a nice $$$ bonus. I think you'll be suprised at the size of the check.