Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Exterior Paneling and All Exterior Sidings
Reload this Page >

T1-11 splash back, new vinyl siding and foundation interface

Old 10-16-07, 03:52 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Maybe a foundation question? Its about the interface between foundation and siding...

Will be re-siding the house shortly (vinyl over 3/8" PSF over existing T1-11) and wanted to know if there were any steps I could be taking to help protect the sill area and bottom of the walls. It seems like a good opportunity.

Today the T1-11 gets wet and rots around the bottom due to rain splashing on it from the ground. I'm changing out the few truly rotted parts and a lot of the solution will be adding the new siding itself. Good grading and keeping the wood primed is also part of it.

But I am also concerned about the amount of moisture taken up by wicking / capilary action since the bottom of the house is close to the soil and on a cement foundation slab. With vinyl and better underlayment the drainage properties will change also: water that used to find it's way into the structure or was otherwise absorbed higher up (its a 2 storey) will now be drained to the base - a lot more I think.

QUESTION : Now that I am covering the T1-11 what does the design look like at the foundation level? Is now the time to put some kind of metal kick out flashing on the bottom edge of the T1-11 (on top)? Or just a ribbon of flashing around the base? Bent in and glued to the foundation (but that would prevent drainage)? It will be covered with the new siding underlayment so it can be ugly.

HELP!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-07, 05:27 AM
Group Moderator
Received 644 Votes on 596 Posts
It can sometimes be a good idea to put a flashing around the bottom of your existing siding prior to installing any foam or starter strip. Whether it's a straight flashing to provide a simple drip edge (extending that drip edge away from your siding) or has a kick out on it really depends on the situation such as the proximity to the ground. In any case, it would be good if the flashing was behind any new housewrap, or if using foam, behind the foam, and hopefully all the seams in your foam will be taped to help make it weather resistive.

Old 10-16-07, 02:00 PM
M
Presumably, if you have installed the vinyl siding correctly then you should not have to worry about drainage.

Personally, I would opt to flash around the base as you say bent in. Depending on how deep it is from the front of your
T-11 to the wall you may be able to use a pre-made flashing from a siding supplier.

In the past, when in a pinch I have used L Channel and
4-6" Facia, and a couple of times I even used J-Cannel. You just need to be creative.

Depending on where you are, you should be able to find a siding supplier other than HD or Lowes. Wholesale or not, unless their stupid they all take cash.

Old 10-18-07, 04:01 AM
K

Thanks both. That helps clarify.