Good quote on siding?

Old 10-20-07, 12:42 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Good quote on siding?

I have a qoute to install new vinyl siding. Can anyone comment on this qoute if it seems fair?
House 20 squares, $11,200 for the following:
Tear off old aluminum siding
tyvek house
Install new outside corners and j-channel
Center vent soffit
Install triple 6 solid core crane siding
Cap woodwork - fascia, rakes, and one by trim boards with white metal.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-07, 08:32 PM
Group Moderator
Received 288 Votes on 263 Posts
$560 per sq. sounds a little high, but not bad. But you left out a lot of info that we'd need to make an educated guess. There's a ton of things to consider- number of windows to clad, total length of fascia to clad, width (to calculate sq ft) of soffit, 1 story, 2 story, hard to scaffold, dormers? Steep roof to work on, etc, etc. Hard to give an estimate on a house sight unseen.

You do realize that the aluminum they will tear off is about 70 cents a pound, right? Provided it's aluminum and not steel.

Old 10-27-07, 02:33 PM
siding qoute

It is a 2 story 1965 split level with 60% of the front is brick. There are no dormers, 16 new construction windows to be installed, Roof slope 90 % of roof slope is moderate (walkable), 10% is steep. Legnth of fascia : 6 inch width 90 feet and 8 inch width 122 feet. I wil try to post pictures. There is currently aluminun siding on the house. Should I negotiate for a lower price or should I recycle it myself?

Old 10-28-07, 07:10 AM
Group Moderator
You didn't mention the soffit area. Telling them you want the aluminum might not help you lower their bid- some guys count on that as a nice little "bonus". You could contact some company to come and pick it up, or if you have a very big dump truck you can get a better price if you actually take it in.

Removing all the siding yourself is something that might lower the bid.

Old 10-28-07, 08:04 AM
siding qoute

I need to restate a portion of my last reply. Here are 2 measurements I have:
1. Fascia 90 feet
Soffit width 6 inches

2. Fascia 122 feet
Soffit width 8 inches.

I could tear off the siding myself, just concerened beacuse I have that blackjack sheathing underneath. I gues I would just have to be carefull. Also, they will install tyvek over the sheathing.

Old 10-28-07, 03:21 PM
Group Moderator
You say the house will have 16 new construction windows to be installed... I assume they are not part of this bid.

Tearing off the old siding will be fairly easy if you have the ladders and scaffolding to do it. Its usually easiest to start at the top and work down. The nails holding the siding will be into the studs, and if you pry the nails out as you go, keeping the prybar on top of the aluminum siding as you pry, you will not damage the asphalt impregnated sheathing (blackjack) at all.

I never use the triple 6 siding (don't like it) but it's used primarily as a labor saving size of siding. Theoretically they claim it makes less seams, but the seams are 18" wide. Anyway, I can't speak for the price of that stuff.

Like I said, the bid sounds a "little" high based on the average installs I have done, but $560 sq isn't completely out of line. If the company has a good reputation, and good references I wouldn't be afraid to accept their bid. Just make sure everything is in writing and that they don't surprise you with any "extras" that they "forgot to include".