Sloped pad/garage, bother levelling?

Old 10-24-07, 09:05 AM
N
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Sloped pad/garage, bother levelling?

I just finished soffits, fascia, outsider corners, j-trim, starter strips, flashing, etc. It's time to hang the siding but before I do I have one issue that I want some opinions on.

The garage rests on a cement pad that was poured at ground level and the garage was placed on top of it, not raised at all. The pad slopes for drainage towards the front. The garage was not shimmed at all, so the entire structure follows the slope but is not visible to eye. The front and back sides are level and I had no problems with my starter strips. The left and right sides however I cannot get level. If I snap a chalkline there is enough of a difference that one corner starts where I want it, and by the time it gets to the other there will be a couple of inches of sheathing showing(unacceptable). I placed the level on the soffits above, and its not level as the structure is not level. I measured from the soffits down on both corners, made my mark, and snapped a line(same on both left and right sides of the garage). The starter strips now all line up and look good, I just hope that since the left and right sides are not level that once the vinyl is re-hung it won't all look sloped. It's about 1/4" inch off level. Even if I was to correct the starter strip a little bit more, I'm concerned that the very top piece of vinyl will be high on one corner and low on the other.

Looking for any feedback before I hang the stuff.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-07, 11:03 AM
Group Moderator
Received 641 Votes on 593 Posts
I don't know where to begin, so I'll just start rambling and maybe some of it will make sense.

You say you have all the starter strip on. You say they all line up and look good. This confuses me. In one place you say there is 2" of sheathing that might show, and another place you say it is 1/4" out of level. I think you are picturing it clearly but I am just having a hard time understanding what and where.

With an out of level building, you have 3 choices:

Choice #1: Chalk a perfectly level line around the entire building as a reference line (see my previous PM to you). Imagine that line to be the top edge of your very first row of siding that will run all the way around the building. Using that line as a reference, determine how big your initial pieces need to be by measuring down to the bottom of the sheathing (where you have installed a j-channel. You will start those pieces in a j-channel, not in a starter strip. Slip a finish trim on the bottom edge of the siding if you can. On the lowest side of the building, your initial piece might be 8" on one end and 7 3/4" on the other end. Regardless of how the bottom edge tapers, the top of that initial piece of siding should be level. You say the opposite side of the garage seems to be about 2" higher. So let's say the initial piece on that side starts out being 6" tall on one end and 5 3/4" on the other. Again, your level chalk line helps you determine this. The sides of the garage, which you say slope to the front, will be done the same way. The taper will be made on the bottom of the piece, while the top of the initial row of siding will be level.

Choice #2: Make each side level, but at different "levels", starting each side in a starter strip. Normally you would NOT do it this way because siding always is SUPPOSED TO MEET EVENLY, not step down to different levels on each side of the corner post. (which is why you use the level reference line mentioned above).

Choice #3: Wrap the bottom of the garage with a flashing made of aluminum trim coil that is the same color as your siding. If your garage is 2" out of level, you might want this flashing to be 4" wide. Install the flashing to follow the slope of the sheathing. Once it is all installed, come back and install starter strip that is LEVEL, again, using the level reference line mentioned above. All your siding will be level this way. On the lowest side of the garage, hardly any of this flashing will be showing. If the garage has 2" of taper from front to back, that taper will show up on the flashing BELOW the siding. And on the opposite side of the garage that is 2" higher than the front, you should have an even 2" reveal of the flashing below the siding and starter strip.

Hopefully this is clear enough to follow. I know it's easier to picture when you've done it a few times, and harder to visualize if you've never done it.

Old 10-24-07, 12:13 PM
N
Hey XSleeper, yes you have given me many ideas from your PM's and its helped me greatly, was just looking to see what others thought as well so I mean no offense to you what so ever.

Basically, I've done what you said with the corner posts and will be using J-trim and trimmed siding at the front of the garage, and starter strips all around the other three sides. If I measure from the soffits down to my line, the line will be out of level, but the siding will be in-line when it meets the soffits. If I make the line level, the siding will be out of line when it meets the soffits. Does that make sense kind of?

If I was to put the starter strip on an angle like the soffits, i think everything would line up a bit better and to the eye I'm not sure if it would even be noticeable... thats really my dilemma.

Old 10-24-07, 06:22 PM
Group Moderator
Received 641 Votes on 593 Posts
Okay, I see what you are pondering. Out of level on top and bottom AND wider on one side than the other makes it a little challenging. That's quite a dilemma. Siding doesn't *have* to be level, but it usually looks best if it is. But maybe you can split the difference somehow, so that rather than having ALL the taper on the bottom or ALL the taper on the top, you can find some happy medium. Whatever layout you decide for the tapered ends of the garage will affect the layout around the corner.

I'll shut up now and let someone else put in their 2 cents.

Old 10-26-07, 07:32 AM
N
I just hung the siding on the right side yesterday(minus the very top piece) and to the eye I cannot tell that it is not level. Works for me, this time....