Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Exterior Paneling and All Exterior Sidings
Reload this Page >

Caulking where siding meets other surfaces to keep mice out

Old 10-28-07, 09:08 AM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I have a mouse problem in my house and I'm trying to seal off places where they can get in. The house has vinyl siding on top of foam board which is on top of Tyvek.

Is there a problem if I caulk where the siding meets the foundation or other surfaces like steps? What kinds of places should I be looking at to caulk? I have an "attached" garage that was slapped onto the side of the house. When I had the house sided, they took the asbestos shingles off the inside of the garage and replaced it with what seems to be 3/4" sheetrock. If I feel under this sheetrock, there IS a tiny gap there and presumably this is OK to caulk, which I want to do because I have seen mouse poop in the garage. But I don't want to caulk the siding where it is not cool to do so.

Also...there are plates covering my dryer vent and outside faucets. Should I caulk behind those where they meet the siding?

So what should else I be looking for?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-07, 09:43 AM
C
Don't caulk the lower edge of the siding, to avoid restricting the movement of air. There may be some sort of screen available to prevent the intrusion of mice. Caulking the base of an interior wall won't create a problem, although some trim to fill most of the space might reduce the amount of caulk needed. Caulking around penetrations such as hose bibs won't cause problems.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-28-07, 10:44 AM
H
The siding does have ventilation holes at the bottom of each lap, though...and some of the gaps are really quite large...

Old 10-28-07, 01:55 PM
Group Moderator
Received 641 Votes on 593 Posts
In short, caulking any surface on your vinyl siding would probably be a waste of time and effort. It might be likened to putting a bandaid on your jeans if you've cut your leg. The root of the problem is not with the vinyl siding, but with any holes in your existing wood sheathing. So, for instance, caulking the vinyl siding at the hose bib won't help, but if you could remove the siding accessory and caulk the actual penetration (where the pipe passes through the wood sheathing) now that might help. Same thing would go for a dryer vent.

The imagination tends to run wild when it comes to places rodents could enter. The most likely places are around garage doors, cracks in foundations, penetrations such as water pipes, electrical and gas pipes, central A/C tubing, and underground tunnels into dirt floor crawlspaces.

Old 10-29-07, 04:00 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
If you can find the infiltration points, you can remove the siding temporarily and stuff steel wool in the openings and replace the siding. Rodents don't like steel wool. Of course, if they are determined, they will just move and make new holes. Eliminating food source and the steel wool is the best deterrent, along with a hungry cat.