T-11 Hot Tub Room - Wall

Old 10-31-07, 02:20 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
T-11 Hot Tub Room - Wall

I just built a 10x16' hot tub room off back of house. It is not insulated and will have no heat/AC, it is basically a three season room. The 3 new walls have a pink thin foam under the walls (T-11), which I assume is a vapor barrier. I now have a cement wall, which was the exterior of the house, left un-done. Can anyone answer any of these questions?

1) What is easiest way to get T-11 on cement wall?
2) Do I put any type of insulation or vapor barrier down first?
3) Do I paint or put polyurethane on T-11 (which I have had two paople recommend the "CABOT" Polyurethane.

THANKS!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-07, 04:06 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
What is the offset of the existing new wall and the concrete wall? Usually the concrete wall is furred out with framing lumber using tapcon screws, then the T1-11 is attached to it. Is this wall an interior wall that you are covering, or the existing exterior of the house?

Old 11-02-07, 05:09 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 294 Votes on 261 Posts
Originally Posted by lornt View Post
3) Do I paint or put polyurethane on T-11 (which I have had two paople recommend the "CABOT" Polyurethane.!

The T-111 needs to be protected with either paint or poly. Stain alone will not be adequate. If you paint, use an exterior oil base wood primer, top coated with 1-2 coats of a quality exterior latex paint. If you use poly apply 2-3 coats. A marine or spar urathane may hold up a little better than poly. I've never used cabot's poly.

Old 11-02-07, 11:11 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Vapor Barrier

With the moisture this hot tub will be putting out, there should be a continuous vapor barrier around the whole interior including the ceiling.

The T1-11 is not a vapor barrier and unless the "thin pink foam" (whatever that is) is properly sealed at all joints, then moisture will migrate into your framing. Ultimate result is mold which will love this warm humid indoor climate, courtesy of the hot tub.