Siding a block chimney

Old 11-07-07, 06:24 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Siding a block chimney

Hello, I am new to this forum and hopefully posting in the right one...
I have an exterior block chimney that I want to apply cedar clap to. I know that the local codes call for 1" spacing to combustibles. How does one frame or fur it out properly(and safely) to install sheathing and the siding? It used to be for a woodstove but is now venting an oil fired furnace.
Any suggestions would be appreciated as I have searched high and low for tips on this without any luck!!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-07, 02:11 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Does your furnace utilize a triple wall flue inside the block chimney? If so, you may be able to sidestep the 1" rule, since the triple wall creates this space for you and the block chimney is just a cover at this point. Check with your local building inspector to see if your particular installation would work. If so, you can fur out the block with 2x4's and cover it with osb and install the shakes.

Old 11-08-07, 03:07 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I should have mentioned the liner. Unfortunately, it is clay. Please don't suggest I get the paint out or go for a stone or brick facing...

Old 11-08-07, 06:49 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
No, but you could install metal studs to the exterior of the block, and then your sheathing, and then your shingles. Metal is not flammable, and it would give you the spacing required. You will have to attach them with tapcons at regular intervals.