Dirt covering up siding

Old 11-08-07, 05:56 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Dirt covering up siding

I cut back my bushes today, and noticed that a large flower bed that had been built up is covering about 6 to 8 inches of siding. I don't want to dig out the bed because because it has a lot of nice mature plants, and also would be a lot of work. If I pull the dirt back away from the house, it will create a negative grade. Is it ok to just leave the dirt covering the bottom 6 or 8 inches of siding? Or will this cause mold problems... or anything like that?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-07, 06:53 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
What kind of siding is it? (not that it really matters) But you don't want dirt against any siding. But since you are reluctant to move the bed, try digging down enough to install metal flashing from below the siding up above the bed, and under one piece of siding. This would at least give some separation from the need-to-be-dry siding and the need-to-be-wet plants.

Old 11-08-07, 07:19 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The siding is vinyl. Thanks for the reply. I figured I'd have to do something about it.

Old 11-08-07, 08:19 PM
Group Moderator
Received 644 Votes on 596 Posts
Besides permanently staining the vinyl, it probably will not harm it. The bigger problem is that there is no space for drainage, and it is a highway for termites to enter the home.

If you can't (won't) lower the grade in the surrounding area by completely digging it out so that it drains away from the home, you would be better off excavating a small area, removing the vinyl siding that is below grade, cleaning the sheathing, and installing a membrane that is rated for ground contact. Once that is done, I would fill in the excavation and then reinstall siding, but the new level of your siding would ideally start several inches above grade.

Old 11-09-07, 05:21 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
I'd dig up the plants and replant with the excess dirt removed. I don't think I could sleep at night knowing this was going on. Think modern psychiatry can help?