Bevel Board Miter Cuts

Old 11-10-07, 02:35 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bevel Board Miter Cuts

I am trying to repair a porch column where the lower section is bevel board. The column is appr 15 1/2" "square"
Does anyone have any good tips or suggestions on making miter cuts on bevel board? I'm at wits end, I've made some acceptable pieces, but barely.
The bevel board (some call it clapboard) is 6" high x 1/2" thick at bottom, cedar.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-07, 02:41 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
Table saw or circular saw with the blade tilted to 45 degrees.

Old 11-13-07, 08:04 PM
B
I was hoping I wasn't making it more difficult than it is, but making a simple 45 cut, the corners don't line up.

Old 11-13-07, 08:27 PM
Group Moderator
Received 571 Votes on 524 Posts
When you cut 2 pieces on a 45, you should be able to hold them together in your hands and they should fit perfectly. Looking down on them (like from above) they should form a 90 angle, pretty easy to see with your eye, but you can check it with a framing square. If they do not line up in your hands (if one acts longer than the other) then they were not held square when they were cut. If they don't form a 90 when put together, then they weren't cut at a 45. If you put them on your column and they don't line up, then either you aren't installing them level (within the same plane) or the column is not really square. You would also need to cut them with the smooth bevelled face of the siding facing up if cutting on a table saw, face down if you are trying to cut them with a skilsaw.

Ideally, you'd use a miter saw to make exact finish cuts like this. Face up on the miter saw table if laying it flat to cut a 45 bevel, or face forward if cutting a 45 miter while standing up against the back fence.

I'm guessing you cut one or both pieces with the bevel of your bevelled siding facing the wrong direction as you cut, which, in effect, is creating a compound miter. (A 45 miter with an unwanted bevel that is equal to the bevel of the siding because it was held the wrong way when it was cut).

Old 11-23-07, 09:47 AM
C
Maybe I'm missing something here since I haven't worked with lap siding for a long time, but since the bottom of each board laps over the board below, it's not laying flat on the column. I'm assuming the problem is that the miter is open at the bottom. The cut is going to be a compound miter. Rip a strip off the top of a waste piece 1" wide to act as a spacer under the thick edge of the siding as you miter it, and adjust the crosscut angle to coinside with the difference and it should fit when put in place. You may need to cut at 46 degrees or so to keep it tight at the corner. Do some trial cuts first to get it right. Good luck

Old 11-23-07, 10:07 AM
Group Moderator
Received 571 Votes on 524 Posts
Good point! I wasn't visualizing it correctly. The cut would indeed need to be a compound angle, such as a 45R miter 3L bevel or 45L miter 3R bevel so that the bottom point of the clapboard would be a little longer.