More Questions about Residing an Old House

Old 11-30-07, 07:59 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question More Questions about Residing an Old House

Hello All,

First off, thanks to everyone who has provided great information. I'm still "deciding" how I want to tackle my residing project, so if you'll put up with a few more questions, I'd be grateful.

1) This is hard for me to describe but I'll give it a shot.. Assuming I place foam panel insulation (3/4 inch most likely) and then Tyvek and siding will I run into a problem with the siding sticking up too far where it meets windows? In other words, if I place the insulation even under the trim boards of the window, how is the inner edge of the trim board going to work? It would seem to be that you would have, to use a bad analogy the effect of a cross section of the trim board, the insulation.. I hope that makes sense.. any info would be helpful.

2) The substrate of the wall is old tongue and grove boards, is there any benefit to replacing it with OSB?

Thanks!

Michael

Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-07, 04:39 PM
Group Moderator
Received 644 Votes on 596 Posts
If you are not replacing your windows at the same time, then yes, you would probably need to do something special around your windows. But it depends on what type of windows you have.

For most wood windows with a wood jamb and sloped wood sill: If you are installing 3/4" foam, you would remove the existing exterior trim and nail a 3/4" filler onto the windows. Your foam would butt up to this filler. Then housewrap would be installed, if desired. The new trim would go on top of that, with a drip cap tucked into a slit in the housewrap on top.

New construction windows with a nailing flange: The window should protrude from the original sheathing a sufficient amount (about 1 1/8") so that nothing additional would need to be done, other than removing existing exterior trim, insulating, housewrap (if desired) then installing new trim on top of the new foam sheathing.

As far as replacing the t&g with OSB, I don't see why you would want to do that, since the t&g is fine.

Old 12-04-07, 04:45 PM
T
Why are you putting house wrap over the foam should be house wrap then foam and why are you useing 3/4 foam if your house needs that much foam bd. wouldn't it be better to pump some insulation in the walls first then side it.

Old 12-04-07, 05:19 PM
Here are pictures showing how to flash vinyl siding around a window. Since this is a display model, we left the window frame wrap off, but you can see the importance of a sill tray and flashing that sends water to the outside of the flashing.

http://www.rooferscoffeeshop.com/sho...&file=3702&s=0

Hope this helps.

Old 12-06-07, 05:53 AM
S
Originally Posted by trapshoot View Post
Why are you putting house wrap over the foam should be house wrap then foam and why are you useing 3/4 foam if your house needs that much foam bd. wouldn't it be better to pump some insulation in the walls first then side it.
Well the house wrap is required for the foam as a moisture barrier, not to mention it's a good idea to help with drafts. I will most likely use builders paper against the substrate, then the foam, and then the housewrap. Yes I know that's probably over doing it, but I'm really looking to cut down alot of drafts from no insulation in the walls and a poor siding system at the moment.

Why not pump insulation in? Frankly, I don't like that form of insulation. Once I take care of the siding, I do plan on working on the interior and I'll install insulation then. That way I have two layers of insulation with a total exterior wall R value of probably around r-15. I live in the Northeast, so I can use all the help I can to keep the heating bill down.

Michael

Old 12-08-07, 04:07 PM
T
House wrap is not for moisture it is for air infiltration comeing into the house. your moisture comes from the inside out when you heat your house. take alook at a new house being built the walls are put up with the house wrap over the wall sheating. keep in mind you don't want to make your house too tight.

Old 12-08-07, 04:58 PM
Group Moderator
I believe what the OP meant by "moisture barrier" is that the housewrap protects all underlying material from "liquid" water, not water vapor. All housewraps are vapor permeable.

If the guy wants to put housewrap over the foam, I would say "more power to him", mainly because if you're going to put housewrap on the house, you will have better protection against water intrusion by applying it to the layer of sheathing that will be directly behind the siding.

Old 12-09-07, 04:37 AM
T
I agree I don't mean to come off as a know it all just throwing other ideas out there that's what makes america great, in constrution there is usually more than one way to do something does'nt make it right or wrong just different. I personaly would not retrim all my windows when I could come (close) to achiving the same results with a little less work I do this 40hrs. a week and preffer to live in my house not work on it one of the problems I see here is how do you attach the house wrap to 3/4" foam and keep it there untill the house is sided stapling the house to the sheating and then putting the foam over it keeps it there untill siding is applied.

Old 12-09-07, 06:17 AM
Group Moderator
Well, you're certainly right about there being more than one way to do things. The OP's main concern seemed to me to be the details around the windows. You're right that retrimming the windows is not the only way to go.

The foam could also be butted up to the existing trim provided the existing trim was going to be clad with aluminum trim coil. If the cladding extends over the edge of the foam sheathing, and the sheathing is covered with housewrap, the cladding could be taped to the housewrap to prevent water infiltration around the windows. (I was just thinking that maybe DIY'ers aren't going to be wrapping their own windows, but maybe I'm wrong.) If you have other ideas, feel free to share them!

As for attaching the housewrap over the foam, hand nailing it with 2" long cap nails would work well.

Old 12-10-07, 03:00 PM
T
your right most are not going to have an aluminum brake let alone know how to use it with the cost of coil stock, you don't want to make to many mistakes. I guess I just got off track thinking about the work it takes to retrim windows

Old 12-12-07, 05:11 PM
S
Well regarding the home wrap and water and all of that.. I'm going to use the home wrap because of it's able to stop drafts and all that, including moisture.. Do I believe it's gonna stop all water? Hell no! But, flooding is not a important problem where I live (on a small hill).. But trying to stop cold from coming in is why I'm using the wrap and alot of construction up here uses foam and wrap.. I'm curious about windows cause I have to deal with them and I want to make sure it is sealed correctly and looking good. So yes foam, wrap and all that..

BTW I'm a student, so I don't have to worry so much about the 40 hour week.. Once I get the old wood off, and find out how much things below need to be repaired, I'll be putting up foam, wrap and siding within a few days (hopefully.)

Michael

Old 12-12-07, 05:26 PM
Group Moderator
Sounds good, Michael. If you have any questions along the way, don't hesitate to ask. You can include pics along with your questions too, if needed.