need to replace J channel

Old 12-01-07, 10:46 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
need to replace J channel

at top of run. It is the above the last piece of siding under the edge of a roof. Do I take off the last piece of siding then replace the j channel.
Trick to remove the siding?

thanx

Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-07, 03:35 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Depends on whether they used J channel or finish strips at the top. But, yes, removing the top run of siding will be necessary to get to the final strip. On one end of the siding, there is a gap that you may be able to get a 5n1 tool under and pull down on the lower part of the siding. Otherwise you can purchase a siding removal tool which makes it alot easier. Just hook it under the bottom lip of the siding and pull it down and out, unzipping the siding all the way across.

Old 12-02-07, 06:13 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
ok thanx. I will look at the big box store for the offical removal tool. Otherwise I have a few 5n1's.
It looks like j- channel.. Thanx foir your help

Old 12-02-07, 06:41 AM
Group Moderator
Received 641 Votes on 593 Posts
Sometimes the top edge of the siding will have a "snap lock" that is hand punched into the top edge, which helps keep the siding hooked up into the utility j-channel. Finding and inserting a putty knife directly over the head of these tiny "notches" will allow you to pull it down.

Sometimes guys will silicone the last row in place, in which case you might have a real hard time getting that piece of siding out without destroying it. Other times I've seen guys use a trim nail or two through the siding (which looks pretty tacky IMO).