Exterior stain?

Old 01-04-08, 06:51 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Exterior stain?

Is there such a thing as a wood stain for exterior applications? I want to stain a nice entry door (mahogany) but I'm not seeing stains that specifically state they are for exterior use. Of course, I don't want to use a deck or siding stain. I'll put a clear finish over it.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-08, 06:04 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 301 Votes on 267 Posts
You use the same type of wood stain as you use on the interior but instead of using an interior poly/varnish you need to use a spar urathane like minwax's helman's poly over top of the stain.

Old 01-06-08, 12:44 PM
Z
Poly on external

I have heard that using polyurethane as a finish on an exterior is a bad idea - it will yellow and crack over time under direct sunlight.

Is that right?

We are putting in replacement wood garage doors that we are planning on staining and we have been told not to finish wiht polyurethane. Our doors will be in dappled sunlight for many days but not overpowering sun.

We like the look of a natural stain as opposed to the semi-transparent but are concerned that it won't protect enough.

Old 01-06-08, 02:22 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 301 Votes on 267 Posts
A spar or marine grade varnish/poly will hold up a lot better than regular poly but it is still subject to deteriation from the weather. The more weather it is exposed to, the quicker it will deteriate. The finish on a wood door covered by a porch roof will last longer than a door more directly exposed.

I agree that a stained and varnished/poly door looks good but the larger the area and especially with less protection makes using poly on a garage door a bad idea.

It will work if you keep on top of the sanding and recoating process. This can be as often as 1-2 times a year depending on exposure.

All oil base varnish/polys will yellow/amber over time. What happens with weather exposure is the cracking and eventually degrading of the coating. Once the coating has weathered too far it is difficult to bring the finish back to it's original look.

Old 01-06-08, 05:54 PM
S
See ConsumerReports.org for tests and ratings of exterior and decking stains. Opaque always hold up best. Even the highest rated semi-transparent decking stain (Wolford Dura) only holds up for about 3 years, and none of the high-rated exterior stains are semi-transparent. Even so, the way fiberglass and plastic mimic wood now, my feeling is, why use wood if you're going to put something opaque on it? I think part of the look of wood is a little bit of weathering. At any rate, my mahogany door is on the north side, and well-protected protected by an overhang.

BTW, I stained some landscape timber with Wolford 1.5 years ago (and they're looking like they need another treatment. But they're getting about the hardest use imaginable (full sun, lots of soaking rain, ground contact)