Exterior Stain-second coat???

Old 01-07-08, 07:57 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Exterior Stain-second coat???

I am at the staining stage, of the exterior siding, of our new house construction. I need some advice.... I have been told to only put on one coat of stain, then put the siding up, and sometime this summer(after the siding is up), to then go back and do the rest of the second coat staining. After MUCH research, I can not find out why this would be done. Is it bad to put the second coat on only the face of the siding before it goes up? Cant the rest of the board "breath"?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-08, 04:26 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 301 Votes on 267 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

When feasable I prefer to stain new siding prior to installation with the 2nd coat after install. It helps to insure that all the siding gets coated and there will be no 'stripes' if the siding shrinks a little. It also makes it easier in hard to reach areas - you can cheat a little, but it's still coated

Bur first READ THE STAIN LABEL!! Not all stains can be recoated at a later date without being weathered or stripped. This mainly applies to the newer hybrid oil stains that clean up with water.

Basically only the exposed part of the siding gets any weather - which is normally the only part that needs protection.

Old 01-20-08, 07:16 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I am assuming that your claps are raw wood? Are you saying you are putting 1 coat on both sides of the clap? If so, 1 coat is fine, then you want to put 1 finish on the exposed faces after installation. The other ? is, are you using an oil stain (sem-trans/semi-solid/solid) or a solid latex stain? This could change everything. Any more info?