Replacement siding on Dutch Colonial

Old 01-09-08, 12:25 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replacement siding on Dutch Colonial

Hi, we just purchased a 2 story dutch colonial home. The first floor is done with stone and the upper is the old asbestos shingle siding. We don't think that regular siding would look right since siding is much more narrow and what is on it is wider and looks much better to the eye. We can't think of anything on the market that would keep to the character of the home. Any suggestions or ideas would be helpful
Here is a pic of house

Old 01-09-08, 03:52 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 7 Votes on 6 Posts
What is wrong with the siding? If it ain't broke.......

Old 01-09-08, 04:18 PM
Group Moderator
Received 939 Votes on 857 Posts
Good point Larry!

The old asbestos shingles take paint well provided you prep them and prime them good. So that's an option. If you're dead set on replacing the siding, I'd suggest you go with Hardieshingle, available in straight edge (bottom edges are in a straight line) or staggered edge (bottom edge varies in height).

If you want to get away from the horizontal lines which tend to make the dormer look short and squat, another option might be 4x8, 4x9 or 4x10 sheets of Hardipanel fiber cement. It comes in:

Stucco
Smooth
Sierra 8 (vertical 8" OC grooves)
Cedarmill

Old 01-14-08, 05:46 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
What is wrong with the siding? If it ain't broke.......
We have thought about just painting it but...when the previous owner replaced the roof..the siding was so brittle some of it cracked and fell off at the back.

To the first replier. Short and squat is exactly what I was thinking. I do not want that at all... and I think that when I look at it now. So, I knew regular siding would make it worse.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: