Steel siding question

Old 01-12-08, 09:45 AM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Steel siding question

Does steel siding need a vapor barrier of some sorts underneath the siding? The siding will be on top of original wood siding on older home, masonite siding removed.
Would you consider celotex insulation. What happens if siding is applied over dry rot on wood without a barrier?
I think the siding company which did my work did not apply half inch celotex insulation under siding as stated in contract I signed. I wasn't around to watch the work each day.
Thanks for any insight you can give.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-08, 10:31 AM
Group Moderator
Received 641 Votes on 593 Posts
A vapor barrier? No. I think you are confusing your terms. What gets applied to the exterior of a home to protect the sheathing is actually a liquid barrier. Either building paper (housewrap) or foam underlayment (like celotex) would work.

If siding is applied over punky wood that had previously been water damaged, and the wood stays dry, it will not continue to rot. But if the wood regularly gets wet, such as what usually occurs around the bottom of a poorly flashed and sided window, then it will continue to rot. Is your new siding being applied over the top of old siding?