Barn siding

Old 01-27-08, 10:21 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Barn siding

I want to build a small bench (36"L x9"W x 13"H to look like it was made from barn siding without actually using barn siding.Any suggestions as to what type of wood to use and what to use on it to give it the appearance of barn siding?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-08, 11:42 AM
Group Moderator
Received 638 Votes on 590 Posts
Not sure what style you are thinking of when you say "barn siding". The two styles that come to my mind are "car siding" and "dutch lap" siding. Car siding is tongue and groove and has a 45 bevelled edge. Dutch lap is also tongue and groove but has a deep concave profile on the upper third of each piece, giving it a deep shadow line where one piece overlaps another.

Either profile is readily available at lumber yards, so I'm not sure why you'd want to make your own unless you just want the challenge of making it yourself, or if you're milling your own wood, or what have you.

For exterior furnishings, redwood is hard to beat, but it's hard to come by if you're not out West. Western Red Cedar is also a good choice for outdoor furniture. If you're lucky enough to have Cypress available in your area, that would also be a good choice. But more commonly, white pine, SPF, or southern yellow pine might be more practical where you live.

As far as making the wood appear weathered, here's an old link on the topic.

If a weathered finish is your goal, you might also ask for finishing tips in the wood finishing forum.

Old 01-27-08, 05:52 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
This bench is for my brother-in-law and he specifically wants barn siding.Most barn siding I have seen is expensive and a lot of it is rough.I just wanted to maybe use cedar and make it look aged.

Old 01-27-08, 06:33 PM
Group Moderator
Received 638 Votes on 590 Posts
Sounds good to me. Rough cedar is readily available, and actually weathers grey rather quickly if left out in the weather. Car siding and dutch lap are horizontal styles of siding. It almost sounds like you are referring to vertical wood siding.

image credit: Barn wood emporium