vertical soffit as siding?

Old 01-29-08, 01:01 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question vertical soffit as siding?

I found what I thought was an awesome deal on a bundle of siding. It was perfect for my shed. But then I noticed it was vertical soffit and not siding.

Can you use soffit as siding? I want the vertical siding look on the shed... the colour is right... and it is only $30 for 200 sq.ft.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-08, 04:46 PM
Group Moderator
Received 641 Votes on 593 Posts
You can, but it will probably look a little "baggy". Vinyl soffit is pretty wide, so it may want to rattle in a high wind. Be sure you pull it tight as you install it. And you'll obviously have to have a j-channel along the top and bottom edges, and the bottom one will catch leaf trash and such. You might want to drill 3/8" holes in the bottom j-channel every 2' or so to let water drain out of it.

Old 01-30-08, 04:21 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
In addition, installing it vertically will allow for alot more water infiltration. I am assuming this is solid 12" soffiting and not perforated.

Old 01-30-08, 07:06 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I wondered about the water infiltration, but then I wondered how regular vertical siding works to keep out water.

Wouldn't solid vertical soffit have the same water prevention?

(and yes, it is solid, no perferations)

Old 01-30-08, 07:35 AM
Group Moderator
Received 641 Votes on 593 Posts
You might have a little water intrusion. The interlock itself would prevent most water from getting past, but since your next piece of siding locks into the interlock and passes around it, it's always possible that capillary action (the back of one piece of siding against the interlock of the other) could draw water around that joint, especially if it's being forced by wind. With horizontal siding, you have the same interlock, but you've got weep holes along every joint, the nailing flange works as a vertical flashing and you have gravity working for you, pulling the water down.

At any rate, you'd hopefully have felt paper or building paper protecting the sheathing.

Water inside any vertical j-channel or corner post will eventually run out and onto the building paper. So that part will remain the same, whether you use horizontal or vertical siding.