home made bending brake

Old 02-19-08, 07:36 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question home made bending brake

Does anyone have an idea on how to build or otherwise make your own bending brake with items that are laying around? You know, a straight edge, some clamps, etc. Can you suggest what to use or how to pivot the material?
It seems like a simple enough tool to fabricate given its purpose. I'd just like to be able to bend some stock aluminum trim to match the profile I have on the trim of the house or to just make some bends for flashing at the roof line, that sort of thing.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-08, 01:23 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 295 Votes on 261 Posts
I have a bending brake that I made years ago but it only has a 4.5' capacity and is mostly used for bending sheet metal. I used angle iron for the bulk of it.

Before I built it, I would clamp 2 pieces of wood over the metal I needed to bend and then make the bend by hand.

Old 02-19-08, 04:58 PM
Group Moderator
Received 641 Votes on 593 Posts
If all you want to do is bend a 90 angle, join 2 boards together (such as oak 1x6) with a piano hinge (to form the shape of an L on a hinge), then use a 3rd board to sandwich the metal (screw it down, or have your knees on it as you bend) to prevent it from slipping as you bend it.

Keep in mind you probably cannot make multiple bends on a single piece using this method.

My suggestion to you would be that if you want precision bends and professional looking results, on your HOUSE for example, and around your windows, that you should go rent a real metal break from a rental store and not attempt to do this with a homemade contraption. If you're working on the old barn out back, then that's a different story.

Old 02-19-08, 05:19 PM
Wink

You might check at HarborFreight.com they have some small brake's. But you said
bend some stock aluminum trim to match the profile I have on the trim of the house
When you start to do that you also need the forms that go on the front of the 8ft sheet metal brake to get the round roll like. The same that is used to make a OG gutter

Old 02-20-08, 08:38 AM
S
Thumbs up

Ok then. Thanks for the replies. I'm going with using the phrase to "use the right tool for the right job" in this scenario.