Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Exterior Paneling and All Exterior Sidings
Reload this Page >

What product to fill in holes in composite lap siding?

Old 03-09-08, 09:11 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I have some siding that is almost touching ground and I think would rather remove the lowest piece of siding rather than dig out around the house.

Would it be best to remove the nails holding the siding and then fill in the nail holes with something?

or

Should I just cut the siding at the bottom of the second lowest plank and leave the 1.25" nailed in?

The siding is an older composite siding (not LP)

Thanks

Old 03-09-08, 12:09 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,905 Upvotes on 1,711 Posts
My first question to you would be, what's behind the siding?? If you remove the siding, you'll be exposing another layer that is probably also too close to grade!

Old 03-09-08, 01:25 PM
S
Actually the cement foundation is underneath the siding to be removed. The siding level is staggered a bit, so it would look normal.

Old 03-09-08, 02:35 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,905 Upvotes on 1,711 Posts
If that's the case, then yes... it probably would be best to carefully cut the lowest piece of siding off, leaving the piece above it undisturbed. You'd want to be very careful to avoid cutting into that upper piece, since composite sidings will deteriorate quickly if the finish is marred in any way.

Since the remainder of the cut off portion would be a cut edge that would be bare, it should really be removed and replaced, since it would be exposed to the elements and would quickly deteriorate. Prying the nails out might damage the siding you want to leave undisturbed- if so, you would likely want to use a reciprocating saw and metal blade to cut the nails behind the siding (on both sides of the cut portion of siding) so that it would simply fall out. The heads of the nails would then come out without damaging the siding in any way. You could then replace that underlying cut piece of siding with a piece of treated wood or similar, holding it up about 1/2" from the bottom of the siding so that it wouldn't continually be getting wet from water dripping off the front piece of siding... then renail the siding.

Old 03-09-08, 02:57 PM
S
That sounds like the safest way to go. Thanks for the reply.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: