Trouble Matching Siding

Old 03-19-08, 06:41 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Trouble Matching Siding

Hello,
I am building an addition on my house and am having trouble finding a match of the existing house siding. The house was built in 2002. The siding is a slate gray, the model # printed on the siding is 0056242NI. Can anyone tell me who the manufacturer is or give me clues as to how to figure this out?

Thank You.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-08, 06:48 PM
Group Moderator
Received 644 Votes on 596 Posts
why don't you take a closup picture of the siding, something that would show the texture, and include the measurement of the size of the lap.

Upload pictures to a file sharing website and paste the link here, we'll take a look. Maybe someone here will recognize it.

Old 03-20-08, 04:21 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Hi, There is a site I found on the web that matches siding. I can't post the link, here, but if you type that term (siding match) into your search engine, I'm sure you'll find it.

Old 03-20-08, 06:28 AM
J
Thank you for the replies & suggestions. I am looking at sidingMatch.com, wish I could upload pictures here. One correction the model number is 0056242N1. Funny how I do not get any "hits" when searching for this #.

Old 03-20-08, 06:43 AM
You can upload a picture to Picas or photobucket and post the link here.

Old 03-20-08, 03:46 PM
Group Moderator
The number on your siding means nothing. It's probably used by the manufacturer to keep track of the date and time it was manufactured, or the lot number.

Old 03-20-08, 04:17 PM
M
I'm a little suprised that no one asked. How do you know that slate grey is the real color name? and what kind of siding is it? Is it vinyl, aluminum hardboard ? or what.

If its vinyl or aluminum, the number represents when the material was produced and on what machine - its only an internal number used to place blame when a warranty proble arises.

Old 03-20-08, 06:14 PM
J
Hello,
The siding is vinyl. I do not know that what the actual color name is. Slate gray is just my description of the color.
Here is a link to a photo of the siding.
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/k...y/P3200125.jpg

Thanks Again.

Old 03-20-08, 06:44 PM
JZ, where have you gone to look for this siding? I'm pretty certain that's a stock item at Lowes. They may not have your color in stock but they can get it for you. Take a small piece with you to compare.

Old 03-20-08, 06:55 PM
M
I gotta tell you, I disagree with Connie. No self respecting builder would buy their sidind from Lowes Their just not a siding supplier. Depending on where you are, the color and grain look eeriely familiar to Norandex. Where are you located ?

Old 03-20-08, 09:22 PM
Group Moderator
I was also thinking "Norandex"... perhaps Woodsman Select?

Or Chesapeake Select?

Perhaps the "grain detail" on those pages will provide a better closeup look for you to compare. And I would imagine the color is "silver" although it's impossible to tell from the pic- you'd need to visit a Norandex dealer, take your sample and ask if it's a match. Not sure about that shiny nailing fin in your pictures, though. It screams "cheap and brittle" to me. Such as the siding you might find at any big box store. Some builders are only concerned about price. I'm not overly familiar with Norandex products, if we use vinyl it is always Alcoa/Mastic.

Old 03-21-08, 03:10 AM
JZ, Where you see that number ...is it by some chance a UPC code? I don't recall ever seeing a number stamped on the back of siding.

Old 03-21-08, 08:26 PM
J
Thank you for all the suggestions. The number is stamped on the nailing fin lip of the siding every three feet or so. I believe this number is a lot number and not a model number.
Note that the shine in the picture is water, the siding is not brittle. This picture is of a piece which was rudely torn from the house. The siding was likely purchased in the Northeast, Rhode Island or Massachusetts. Yes the Norandex cedar finishes look very close.

Old 03-22-08, 03:44 AM
So, I guess your best bet is still the siding match, huh? Let us know how that worked,

Connie

Old 03-26-08, 05:56 PM
If you know who the builder of your home was, try calling them, because they might still have the options on your home on file.

Good Luck!!

Old 03-27-08, 10:18 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
I had a similar issue when I wanted to match my garden shed to my house. Pretty easy actually...I took a sample piece to the largest siding and roofing supplier in the area...the guy took one look and said.."oh, xyz brand...color 123456". Went and pulled the sample board and BOOM! Thats all it took.

Good luck!