Painting vinyl

Old 03-27-08, 01:02 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Painting vinyl

Okay, I hope this isn't a ridiculous question. Is it possible to paint vinyl siding? Our new house is yellow and we're not crazy about it, but won't be able to replace it for at least a few years.

Old 03-27-08, 01:59 PM
C
Time was that you could paint vinyl siding so long as you did not paint it a color darker than it was originally. Nowadays, there are paints better suited for this purpose, using urethane and acrylic resins. Nevertheless, the limitation on changing to a darker color still exists. So you can choose among colors that are no darker than your current yellow.

Hope this helps.

Old 03-27-08, 03:57 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
As Chris said, in the past it has always been recomended to not go darker in color as the vinyl is temperature rated [dark surfaces collect more heat] SWP has a new line of paint that is formulated specificly for vinyl siding. They claim you can use any color. I've not used it although I've painted several vinyl sided homes with latex paint [prior to this product being available] i don't know if other paint manufactures have a similiar product.

The vinyl needs to be clean! Adding emulsa bond to the paint will promote good adhesion.

p.s. - welcome to the forums!

Old 03-27-08, 06:37 PM
M
Thank you! That's the answer I was looking for.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: