Painting new cedar clapboard siding

Old 03-31-08, 06:19 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Painting new cedar clapboard siding

Hello all,
I was wondering if you could share some tips on painting new cedar clapboard siding. It is pre-primed rough side out about 4.5 inches to the weather. I've read some of the posts and articles here but wanted to get some inside tips that come with experience. This is the first exterior painting job I've done.

Some of the questions I had were:
- do I need to prime it again
- will a semi-transparent stain cover the gray pre-prime
- do I need to rent scaffolding or can I manage with a ladder
- should I use a small roller and come back with a brush for the bottom edges of each clapboard
- any little tips & tricks the pros use

I'm hoping you can convince me that I can tackle this myself this spring and save some $. Never painted a whole house before.

Thanks!

Old 03-31-08, 04:09 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 404 Votes on 360 Posts
I don't have a lot of confidence in the factory primer so I always reprime with a good exterior oil primer. If you are using a dark color, you might get by without repriming.

Semi-transparent stain is for raw wood only. The only type of stain you can use over primer is solid stain [latex or oil]

IMO scaffolding is more trouble than it's worth. Takes a lot to time to set it up and move it compared to using ladders. About the only time I'll use scaffolding on an exterior paint job is if another trade set it up and left in my way Depending on the house and the lay of the land you may need more than 1 or 2 sizes of ladders. A pot hook will hold your bucket of paint/stain on the ladder so you don't have to.

A small roller along with a brush can be a benifit especially to those with limitted brush skills.

The pros don't really have any bag of tricks - just years of experience!

Don't let the size of the job intimidate you. Each house has 4 or more walls, each smaller than the whole house and even 1 wall can usually be broke up into smaller sections. In a way, a big job is just a series of little jobs put together.

Old 03-31-08, 04:14 PM
If you don't use the right kind of primer for cedar, the job will fail. Sherwin Williams has a product called Quickprime,and it works good. Your cedar has factory primer,and I would call the company and ask what it is, and what is compatable with it. I like to stain cedar, but your already set up for painting because of your factory primer. You can really get a lot done fast with a small roller{weenie roller}. If you done like brush marks,then brush it out ofter you roll it. The key is delivering that paint onto the surface fast. Whatever you do, don't use a power painter. You will make a mess and ruin any car down wind. When I paint up high on a ladder,I use a rope,rope grabber and body harness. People get killed all the time on ladders. My Uncle broke his back from falling 18 feet!,and our former pastor fell about 15 feet 15 years ago and is in a wheelchair. I wouldn't use scaffolding if the house is too high,but if it's only one story,I would set it up so you could walk a plank and really get things done fast.,,,You can save a boatload of money painting yourself. Buy good paint like Sherwinn Willimas superpaint or Benjiman Moore. Sherwinn Willimas is a great place,and they will help you.You can skimp on interior paint,but never on exterior paint.Good paint,tools and safty on the ladder.

Old 04-02-08, 12:20 PM
C
Thanks for the info.

What about the gutters? If I use solid latex stain on the house, do I need to get a matching paint for the gutters, or will stain adhere to the gutters as well?
C.

Old 04-02-08, 12:31 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 404 Votes on 360 Posts
Solid latex stain will stick to gutters but latex house paint will wear better. With a little luck you might find a gutter color close to your stain or maybe as an accent color.

Old 04-03-08, 06:10 AM
Good solid advice from Markstr.Let me add,you should work from top to bottom. Don't do the bottom first.Get a nice bucket set up with a little ramp for your little roller.You will be surprised what you can get done with a roller. Also,cover any sreens,if you get paint on them,it's almost impossible to remove.Use plastic to cover things up you don't want splatterd. If you get paint on glass,let it dry on remove with a razor blade later. The peaks are going to be the scariest.You might want to get a llong handle for you roller. You can also open a window and tie down your ladder. I painted things like water towers and bridges my whole life,but I have seen more accidents and injuries by people painting barns and houses. Most of them are falling off roofs and ladders sliding.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: