Cutting stucco wall

Old 04-12-08, 06:46 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Cutting stucco wall

I'm getting ready in the next few weeks to cut out an old sliding window and replace it with an Andersen french door. This in my first house with a stucco exterior, built in 1990 with the wire lath under the stucco. I'd like to keep as clean an edge as possible, as the door is the perfect size for the window opening.

My question is..

Whats the best way to cut the stucco around the window? I had thought about using my angle grinder with a diamond blade, then switching to a metal blade to cut the wire and window nailing flanges if needed. Theres no moulding on the door to cover the cut edge of the stucco, it should sit just flush with the exterior.

Thanks for any comments.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-08, 03:19 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Vic: I've used a grinder with a thin metal disk, and I have also used a reciprocating saw with a fine metal blade in it. In essence the toughest part will be the lath, but you want a smooth cut on the stucco as well. First choice grinder with thin metal blade, probably a few of them.

Old 04-12-08, 03:49 PM
Super Moderator
Thx Larry...Sounds close to what I was thinking. No sawsall till I get to the cripples and the sill, gotta keep it clean as I can. I'm thinking from what I've seen around here so far, I may not have any lath right up to the window.

Old 05-15-08, 05:43 PM
Super Moderator
Well, the door is in. Had to cut more of the stucco than I wanted cause I couldn't tell where the flange and 2X6 were. But it's in, swinging screens are on, wife loves it...so I guess it was a success. Still have the ext and int trim to do. Will post before and after pics when done.

Thanks Larry for the advice. Used masonry disks til I hit metal than switched to metal disks. Worked fine.