Screen Enclosure Meets Siding

Old 04-21-08, 11:52 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Screen Enclosure Meets Siding

Hello! Our 1924 wood home was covered in metal siding prior to our purchase in 2003. We recently hired a company to erect two screen walls to enclose part of our back deck (there was an existing roof over this part of the deck). There are four areas where the screen enclosure meets the siding: two of those areas had the "cap" or corner piece of siding, so there was a flat area to attach the screen panels. The other two areas hit in the middle of the siding, so there are gaps where insects can still get into the screened enclosure. The company originally told us there was a special piece that fit over siding, and it was back-ordered. Several weeks have passed, and we are becoming skeptical. Is there such a product? If not, how do we seal these areas? Many thanks for your help!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-08, 01:59 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Good morning, Laura, and welcome to the DIY Forums.

Would it be possible for you to put a photo or a link to a photo, here? You can upload your picture to a host site...Picasa is great if you have a Google account, otherwise, a site like photobucket is excellent. Then post the link here, so we can see what you are seeing.

Connie

Old 04-22-08, 03:31 AM
Group Moderator
Received 636 Votes on 588 Posts
There is no premade piece that I am aware of that will form a closure over the top of exterior siding. I think they are probably just putting you off. But I could be wrong. If there IS a closure (such as a preshaped foam closure) they would have installed that FIRST before erecting the walls, since it should be sandwiched between the siding and the wall to make an effective seal.

Not sure why you are asking what YOU can do to seal this when it should obviously be THEIR obligation to seal the room up. The solution will likely be scribing a piece of trim, in effect notching it around each row of siding to make a tighter fit. Then any gaps would be close enough to caulk. If you just want to do something to temporarily keep bugs out until your company finishes the job, I'd suggest you get some foam backer rod, which can be poked into the gaps with a putty knife. Whatever you do, don't squirt the gap full of Great Stuff foam... you'll be sorry if you do.

If the room is to be permanent, it would have been better if they would have cut the siding out and actually attached the walls to the sheathing, rather than attach them on top of the siding.