Staples for Cedar Shingle Siding

Old 05-02-08, 04:31 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Staples for Cedar Shingle Siding

Can someone advise if I can us 1/2 x 1 1/2 16 ga. galvanized crown staples for installing cedar shingle siding? I live on the west coast of British Columbia, so moisture/salt air is the norm here. Will the galvanized staples corrode or stain the shingles? Do I actually need to use stainless steel staples instead?

Thanks in advance.
Kevin

Old 05-02-08, 05:28 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Votes on 8 Posts
Kevin, the wider staples may be fine as you will be grabbing more fiber with your staple, but I use the narrow crown staples, and have great success with them. Galvanization will be a must. You will be stapling under the cover of the shingle above it, so that should help with the direct contact with the salty air.

Old 05-02-08, 06:38 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Update

Thanks Larry,

I have been doing many searches on the net, Bob Villa's site does not reccommend electroplated galvanized with cedar. A quote from his site:
"Avoid using electroplated galvanized or unfinished nails. They will rust, and at least stain the siding. At worst, they can weaken and lead to expensive repairs."
I presume at this point I will have to purcahse stainless steel unless someone can offer other info.
Thanks again for your reply.

Kevin

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: