Vinyl siding around old windows

Old 05-07-08, 11:31 PM
J
Jst
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Vinyl siding around old windows

Hello,
I plan to put vinyl siding over the existing T1-11 siding. Currently, the brick mould around the windows only goes about 1/2 inch out from the T1-11. Putting a j-channel around that would not look right as the siding would stick out past the windows. Is this acceptable? What is usually done in this situation.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-08, 03:25 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Yeah, you don't have an ideal situation. One of two things can happen. Of course you can always remove all the T1-11, but that creates problems in itself. Another solution is to remove the brick mold, install 1/2" strips of plywood where they were originally, and reinstall the brick mold over that. It will protrude a little proud of the windows, but will give a reveal once you install your j-channel. I have seen installations with the j-channel installed as you say yours would be, but it just seems to be "added-on" and looks like something better could have been done.

Old 05-09-08, 01:10 AM
J
Jst
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks Chandler. Maybe I'll do something like that.

Old 05-09-08, 05:15 AM
Group Moderator
Received 641 Votes on 593 Posts
It's very common for the j-channel to stick out past the window trim. Unless you want to go to a lot of work, I think it's pretty normal. Probably 75% of houses that have been resided with vinyl siding are that way. Not ideal, but that's what you get when you use vinyl, unless it's on new construction. You might want to be sure you use the thinnest j-channel possible to minimize this effect. A 5/8" j-channel and either no foam, or 1/4" fanfold would help limit the thickness of the siding. You'd want to be sure to caulk the j-channel where it meets the window trim so that the j-channel on the bottom doesn't funnel water behind the siding.

If you want the window trim to not appear sunken in, I think Chandler is on the right track when he mentioned removing the brickmould. I'm guessing that they put a rabbit in the back of the brickmould and it overlaps the siding. So you could remove the brickmould, get some new brickmould, and tack a 5/8 or 3/4" extension onto the window jamb. I wouldn't use plywood unless you're cladding the windows with trim coil. I'd rip the extension out of 3/4 stock. Then reinstall the brickmould. You'd also need to extend the nose of the sill in the same way.