vinyl siding questions

Old 05-12-08, 05:24 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
vinyl siding questions

me and my girlfriend just put an offer for our first house and i was wondering a few things. the vinyl siding has some holes and cracks in it. dont know exactly how old it is, but can each piece be replaced? also whats the process on painting it? would we need to primer it? ok one more: the windows dont have any kind of trim around them. they are tall and only about 2 feet wide. would it be a better idea to put up some thick trim, or shutters? we have no idea on what colors to choose yet, just hoping they accept the offer and we can get it! thanks guys.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-08, 07:00 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Congratulations on the new home. The individual pieces of siding can be replaced relatively easy. Painting vinyl siding, I am not a fan of. Some of the paint guys may have better insight on this. You say the windows don't have any trim. Are you sure there is no j-channel trim to accept the siding? Or are you talking about formal trim boards? You can install vinyl shutters that would make it look just fine. May run you about $40 a set or so. Let us know when you get ready to remove the siding and replace the damaged pieces, and we'll walk you through it.

Old 05-12-08, 07:27 PM
A
hey thanks for the quick reply. the windows have a tiny strip of about 1/2" around each window. looking to replace it with something that looks nice. also is there a way to kind of fill in the little gaps where the siding meets up. it looks like they didnt use whole strips and just butted up some smaller strips together. looks kind of tacky. can i just caulk it so it looks nicer?

thanks again

Old 05-13-08, 03:20 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 301 Votes on 267 Posts
I'm sure that the siding is overlapped and not "butted" up. I doubt that caulking would be a good idea.

As far as painting goes, I've painted [changed color] a number of vinyl sided houses. Vinyl is temperature rated so conventional wisdom is to not paint it a darker color although SWP has a new line of paint that is specfic for vinyl and will allow darker colors to be used - but I've not used. No primer is needed for vinyl but it is a good idea to add emulsa bond to the latex paint as it will promote a better bond.

Old 05-13-08, 09:26 AM
A
ya for the color we are planning to go either a light brown/tan or some other light pastel color for the vinyl. then something dark for the shutters to match it. well technically we have to find out whether they accept the offer, but we are kind of mapping out in our head what we are going to do. thanks for the advice guys.

Old 05-21-08, 02:33 PM
B
chimney cap for vinal siding chimney

We are siding a chimney and where wondering if anybody has an idea how to cap it? The corner pieces are open, is there something that can be placed over it? Please help me with your suggestions. I hate to just put metal on it.

Old 05-21-08, 03:23 PM
Group Moderator
Received 644 Votes on 596 Posts
Bobbycat,

Take some measurements into your local HVAC guy and ask him if he can fabricate a sheetmetal cap for you.