Clueless newbie seeking siding suggestion

Old 05-22-08, 09:16 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Clueless newbie seeking siding suggestion

I have a 2 story, 1900 sq ft frame house in Florida, built in 1983-1985. 1st story wall is stucco but the 2nd story wall has cedar siding. This is what I need to do something about. Each cedar board is about 13" wide, running vertically, step joint. I just cannot keep the joints closed to rain and water. Nails keep popping out, and steps are opening. After 25 years, many boards are cracked and warped.

There are horizontal studs behind the siding, about 2 or 3 feet apart. These are the only nailing points. Also, because the steps are so thin, I cannot put nails right at the joint. I tried thin nails, but I ended up breaking the steps.

A contractor suggested stripping the cedar siding, putting on Tyvek, 1/2" plywood, and 4' x 8' Hardiboard (?) that just looks like T 1-11 board vertically. And his estimate is $17k.

1) Is there a way to keep the step joints sealed?

2) Is there a less expensive siding? Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-08, 09:35 AM
T
Can't offer a suggestion on the current issue.. but can speak to the "expensive" portion of the quote.... The price of the new siding material is the minimal portion of the contractors quote. The spendy portion is the removal of the old siding, addition of plywood and new siding...

As this is a DIY forum, I would have to suggest that doing it yourself, if possible, would save you about 2/3rds to 3/4ths of that quote.....

It's a lot of work, labor wise... but the materials are relatively cheap.

Old 05-22-08, 11:58 AM
P
Thanks for the quick reply. Can I put hardiboard directly on existing siding? If it can be done, I can tackle it with a helper or two.

Old 05-22-08, 05:11 PM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
Putting another layer of siding over existing siding may cause issues with window and door openings depending on how they are trimmed out currently. Just want to cover all contingencies. You would actually have 3 layers if you do not remove the old, the furring strips, the cedar and then the hardi.

I think we may need a picture of your house to help with further direction.

Obviously a professional suggested removing the old material first, there may be a reason he is recommending this.