Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Exterior Paneling and All Exterior Sidings
Reload this Page >

Cedar siding ...labor intensive paint strip or flip over and use unpainted side?

Cedar siding ...labor intensive paint strip or flip over and use unpainted side?

Old 05-25-08, 12:31 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Has anyone taken the shingles off and fliped them over to the unpainted side and if so any tips or sugestions from your labored experience?

Old 05-25-08, 12:45 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 383 Votes on 339 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

I've never taken off wood shingles or any other siding to reinstall it on the otherside but would expect it would be a lot of trouble and I would think a sizable portion of the siding wouldn't survive without damage.

Old 05-25-08, 01:37 PM
Received 15 Votes on 13 Posts
Cedar shingles or shakes are very expensive, just had to buy a bundle for a repair, $95/bundle machine finished and $70/bundle for roughcut and there are 5 bundles per square. Not sure the going cost for cedar planks.

Let us know why you want to flip them over. Seems to me the easiest thing to do would be to lightly scrap with a wire brush, in the direction of the grain to remove the loose paint. Then prime and paint with appropriate topcoat.

If you pull and replace, everything will need to go up exactly reversed to how you removed them as each row is cut to width. Mixing rows will cause you to recut to fit at the end of the row. Your window and door cuts will not match and you will end up probably replacing the entire perimeter of the house with new material to get a proper fit. You will also have to strip the paint off the ends of the shakes anyway as this profile is visible either frontside or backside orientated.

Last edited by czizzi; 05-25-08 at 01:37 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-26-08, 12:32 AM
T
re: cedar shingle siding ...1950s built with layers of paint

I have been using a scraper claw and tried water presure washer without damaging shingles except for the first two that look like they were hit with a golf ball using the wrong presure nozel, but still will need to go back through with claw for all the hard caked on paint as wire brush does not cut it. I look on the other side and its clean, no paint like new and I am weighing out the time and energy for each direction and I'm leaning towards flip as I will be using paint rather then a stain. For the shingles that can't be fliped because of certain cut and fit I will take the time to thourally rid of all previous paint. Well I guess everyone will know what I will be doing all next week and can't wait to show the neighbor that said, "If it were me I'd just put up vinyl siding." ...lazy old fart! Cedar shingles will always look better and add more value especially if I'm putting in a good 80 hours towards it and this is coming from a guy that took out the front lawn so he wouldn't have to mow it any more to build a pond that turned into a freekin 60' river. Doing things the hard way, perhaps its just good therapy, but when its all said and done you can bank on it ...its going to look good! Next project ...new roof.

Old 05-26-08, 01:41 AM
L
Originally Posted by Thunderdog View Post
... this is coming from a guy that took out the front lawn so he wouldn't have to mow it any more to build a pond that turned into a freekin 60' river.
I would like to hear more about that. I have a depressed (already somewhat low) side yard I want to make into a pond.

Originally Posted by Thunderdog View Post
Doing things the hard way, perhaps its just good therapy, but when its all said and done you can bank on it ...its going to look good!
It is a relief to know I am not the only one who thinks that way!

Flipping the siding over is going to leave you with wrong angles at the bottoms of the pieces. As slight as the difference might seem, the angle from face to bottom is not the same as from back to bottom, and flipping the boards over is going to result in a right angle (rather than an acute one) at the bottom of the new face ... and that leaves the bottom no longer horizontal, and that means water will be less inclined to drip straight down off the face. Not that any of that is any great problem, but the flipped siding will definitely look a bit different to the keen eye and might keep you awake at night for a while.

Old 05-26-08, 07:16 AM
Received 15 Votes on 13 Posts
Make sure the paint you are using is compatible with cedar. I have seen instances where a mismatch in the paint was used and nothing stuck to the cedar. I would lean toward a solid stain but check with the local paint store for best recommendations given what may already be on the shingles.

Old 05-26-08, 08:09 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 383 Votes on 339 Posts
Cedar paints ok but new/raw cedar should be coated with a quality exterior oil primer. Some colors in latex stain also require a primer on cedar. I doubt you could get the old shingles looking good enough for a natural or semi-transparent finish. I would recomend a solid stain or maybe paint depending on how the wood looks and what you want the finished product to look like.

Pressure washing and then scraping and using a wire brush is the proper prep for repainting.

Old 06-20-08, 07:00 AM
S
Red face Start Fresh!!!

Thunderdog,
I've installed or replaced MANY cedar shakes, and I must say, just the thought of trying to reuse the shakes is a "Nightmare" you dont want to tackle.
1st, the shakes become real brittle as time goes by. You'll break most of them! Or, when you re-nail them they'll crack!

2nd, if they're stapled on, forget it!

If you want it to look good, start fresh!!! It's a bit costly, but they'll last 25- 30 years.
Sixpack

Old 08-09-10, 05:22 PM
W
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
1. Ignore the spammer!

2. I have removed cedar shingles. I think I busted one out of three and I was trying to be careful. I don't know how you value your time, but if it were me I would either repaint the existing or just put up new shingles.

On second thought I probably would not put up new shingles. I would probably opt for clapboard.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: