Old house- new cement board siding

Old 05-31-08, 07:13 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Old house- new cement board siding

We have an 1800's farmhouse (in central Vermont) which we would like to side with cement board. Currently there is wood siding. There is blown-in insulation in the walls, and in interior areas where there's new sheetrock (kitchen and bathroom) there is 6-mil plastic under it. Elsewhere there are plaster walls or old sheetrock over ?tarpaper. Under the siding is thick (1"-ish) wooden sheathing, and I don't know if there is tarpaper or whatever in there too. The walls are irregularly spaced 2x4-ish studs. We will also be removing and replacing all the windows and doors. It is unlikely that the thickness of the walls is anything standard anyway, as nothing else in the house is. Two main questions:
1) Should we remove the old siding? We aren't concerned about the wall thickness so much, but I wonder if it will make instilation harder or easier, or if it is better in terms of moisture (I understand it will be time-consuming, costly for disposal, etc).
2) Is there anything about the description of the house that makes "rigid foam insulation + tyvek + siding" not a good idea?

Currently we don't really have any moisture problems and I don't want to create any!!

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-08, 07:46 PM
Group Moderator
Received 576 Votes on 529 Posts
It is almost ALWAYS advantageous to remove the old wood clapboard siding, then Tyvek, then install windows, then install siding. If you are not concerned about adding even more insulation, then you do not need to use foam sheathing.