Log House - log treatment?

Old 06-01-08, 08:36 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Log House - log treatment?

Hi - I just got a log house - it's 12 years old. Logs are in good shape (even the ends) - I'm new at this - please let me know if my plan is not too clever. It's a big job and I'm hoping I can do a job that will last as long as possible.

1. I plan to start with the garage (which only has log sidings) - just to make sure color comes out as I want and the my power washing technique is adequate.

2. Logs (and fake logs) will be allowed to dry several days after washing.

3. I'm planning to go to Wallmart and buy McCloskey's Storm Coat, Solid Color for Deck and Siding. - It's relatively inexpensive, but is it good enough?

4. I plan to apply the stain with a brush, log by log.

Any education you could offer would be highly appreciated. (I just ordered a book on Log House Maintenance - that will help too I think)

Thanks/ Brunte48

Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-08, 04:29 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 260 Votes on 230 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Pressure washing should never be the sole means to clean wood. Too much pressure can chew up the wood! It is better to apply a cleaner [deck cleaner will work fine] let it set but not dry and then do the rinsing with the pressure washer.

I'm not familiar with McCloskey's Storm Coat but generally any coatings you find at walmart or a big box store is stocked based on pricing. You will find better coatings at your local paint store. While they will cost more per gallon, when you figure in your labor and how long the stain is projected to last - it isn't more expensive.

Brushing may not be the fastest way to apply the stain but it will do a good job! If you were to spray, it would still be a good idea to back brush to work the stain into the wood = better coverage and protection

Old 06-02-08, 06:57 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you very much - good input! /Brunte48