Question about installing vinyl on an uneven garage

Old 06-08-08, 05:34 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question about installing vinyl on an uneven garage

Hi,
This is my first time installing vinyl siding (Certainteed from Mendards) and I am doing a small, very old garage. There is no sort of backer board under the current siding, it is also the inside wall of the garage. The current siding ends when it meets a flat concrete slab that extends about 10 inches out into the yard. The front of garage is also quite uneven and it drops about 3 inches from the left side to the right. A concern I have is if I start on the right and I install the metal starting strip level 2 inches up from the lowest point - this is what the instructions say- then it will run into the concrete slab. If I start on the left, there will be a few inches of exposed old siding below the starting strip when it gets to the corner and possibly around the other side. I donít think I can remove the concrete and I am wondering what is the best path to take. The other three sides are sloped too, but all are built up a few inches so I donít think clearance would be a big issue. My other concern is that if I do put up siding that is perfectly level it will look crooked in relation to the sofit and window frame lines, because they both follow the slope of the garage. Would it be better to install the siding Ďcrookedí so that it would follow the natural lines of the foundation, windows and sofits?
Thanks for your comments. Here is a pic.
Pat

Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-08, 09:29 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The best way to do this is to get some coil and make your own flashing. what i mean is make a backwards L. on one end make it lets say 2' X 2' the first 2' will go up behind the new siding the other to you make a presser bend to set tight on the brick. Then on the other end make it letís say 6' X 2'.the 6' is behind the new siding and the same thing with the 2'.
Now you can get a level line to start your starter strip. And if you want to you can get some clear silicone and seal the flashing to the brick so water does not get back under it. Also I would use some insulation board its called fan-fold. Start it just above your starter strip. Also if you donít know you do not nail the siding tight. Leave the siding and nail about 3/8í off the wall. It has to float (be able to slide back and forth) a little. I hope this helps and its not to late..

Old 07-07-08, 04:48 PM
Group Moderator
Received 582 Votes on 535 Posts
I agree with ICB...

I'd install some EPS foam, or even some OSB sheathing over the lap siding. Select a thickness that, once installed over the clapboard, will be flush with the frieze board that runs around the top of the garage. Run the foam down close to the cement. Then cover the bottom edge of the foam with an L-shaped piece of aluminum trim coil like ICB said... (you'll rent a metal break and buy a roll of coil) the coil should be the same color as your siding. You'll make that coil long enough so that you can run all your starter strip level. (If the frieze board around the top is fairly level, you can pull a measurement down from each corner of the garage by measuring from the soffit- where the siding will be ending- down to the bottom- where the siding will be starting. If you have double 4" siding, it's always nice when the total rise of the siding is divisible by 4. (or divisible by 5 if using double 5".)

So, once the foam is on, and you've wrapped it with coil, you'd go to your corner where the cement is the highest and measure from the soffit down to the bottom of the coil. Let's say it's 93". You'd use 92" as the rise of your siding because it's divisible by 4, and it will clear the cement. So you'd measure down 92" from each corner of the garage, and mark where the bottom of the siding would be. If your L-shaped pieces of coil are made long enough, everything below your starter strip will be covered with your trim coil, and will look fine. The siding will be straight and you shouldn't have any bad looking tapers anywhere.

If some areas get to be 4" lower than the rest due to the drop of the cement, you can always alter your layout, stepping those areas down into a j-channel or similar. But your garage would have to be pretty crooked for that to be the case.