Basic vinyl siding question

Old 06-11-08, 06:30 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Basic vinyl siding question

Doing a small shed with your traditional horizontal siding. On the top of the siding, the top strip, what holds the vinyl panel in place? On the top row on the sides I think I'll be able to end with what I think is called a utility strip. It has a peaked roof, so on the top on the front/back I know I need to use J molding (I know just enough to get me in trouble, as you can see!).
I know about making sure the pieces aren't nailed down tightly so the panels can move, and to keep the panels about 1/4" short for the same reason.
Question is, what attaches the top pieces or do they just snap in place, but on J molding I don't see that they can snap in. On utility molding maybe.
Oh also what's the best fastener to use, for example on the corner molding if there is no stuff to get the nail in to? Actually a recommendation for fasteners on the panels would be appreciated too.
OH, and for a small job like this, what's best bet for cutting/trimming (so I don't have to buy an expensive tool I'll only use once), and also i am guessing the top row on the sides will need a nice long 12 foot cut, what's good for that? Or do I really need to buy tools?
Thanks All
Gilly

Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-08, 05:03 PM
Group Moderator
Received 576 Votes on 529 Posts
>>what holds the vinyl panel in place?

You would need a vinyl siding snap lock punch tool. With it, you create a series of tabs on the top row of your vinyl siding so that once they slide into the finish trim (utility trim) it won't pull back out. If you don't want to buy the tool, then just put a dot of silicone in the interlock of the last piece of siding, and once you snap it up and the silicone sets up, it won't come down. The snap lock tool is not absolutely necessary- silicone will work just fine. Test fit the top piece to make sure it fits, then take it back down. Put one marble sized dot every 24" in the bottom lip of the top piece, then snap it back up. Done.

>>It has a peaked roof, so on the top on the front/back I know I need to use J molding

On the gable ends where there is no finish trim to lock the top triangular piece into place, I will just silicone that top piece in the interlock (as mentioned above), then push it up into place... no nails required.

>>Oh also what's the best fastener to use, for example on the corner molding if there is no stuff to get the nail in to?

I usually use hot dipped galvanized roofing nails that are the minimum length needed for the job. You surely have wood sheathing on the shed, so you should be able to nail anywhere you like. Nailing into the studs is of course preferable... but if you're trying to avoid having a bunch of hot dipped galvanized roofing nails sticking through the sheathing which would poke things on the inside (like your head/hands/arms) then maybe you could use some 3/4" truss head stainless steel screws instead.

image credit: Swan Secure

>>OH, and for a small job like this, what's best bet for cutting/trimming (so I don't have to buy an expensive tool I'll only use once)

If you have a table saw or skilsaw, using a black abrasive blade (they are actually made for cutting metal or masonry, but work great for cutting vinyl) in either will work just fine. You can also cut it with a tin snips, but the power tools are obviously better, faster, easier.

>>and also i am guessing the top row on the sides will need a nice long 12 foot cut, what's good for that? Or do I really need to buy tools?

same answer as above.

Old 06-11-08, 09:16 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks much. I like your avatar, good ol' Pigpen, I love that guy. I like to quote him from Merry Christmas Charlie Brown, favorite quote is "In spite of my outward appearance I will try to keep a neat "fill in the blank" (in the special it was "Inn", but I will change the noun to fit the situation).

Thanks for the info, that helps. The shed is from "Tuff Shed" which Home Depot sells. Even though this is a DIY forum, I didn't have much to do on this one. Home Depot has some DIY Tuff Sheds but we got one that includes the installation. It just seemed like it would take me too long to get this done so we went this route and am happy so far with it. So it is wood sheathed and has studs in the walls so can do that. On the corners maybe i can get shorter nails (I need to look and see if there are studs near the corners I can nail in to).

I'll see what that tool will cost, might not be worth buying for just the 2 side walls especially, I didn't think about the end walls where it meets J molding.
I forgot to mention I'll probably be using hand tools for cutting the stuff. I have a pair of aviation snips, I assume they'll work out.
Gilly