where siding meets brick chimney . . .

Old 06-25-08, 05:05 PM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

What is the proper method for installing aluminum (or vinyl, I guess) siding where it butts up to a brick chimney so that it is as "waterproof" as possible? I think it was installed improperly (long before I bought the house). At present, the siding just butts up against the brick chimney; there is no "J-channel", and I think wind-driven rain is getting behind the siding. Inside the house at this location, there is water damage to the textured plaster wall (the job to tackle AFTER I solve the root problem). Starting from the sheathing material, what should be done? eg. housewrap, flashing, J-channel, caulking, etc.?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-08, 01:42 PM
E
Some additional information

Here are some photos of the existing siding installation around the brick chimney.

I expect that I will have to remove all the siding around the chimney to check/repair water damage. This will give me the opportunity to do the job "right" -- if I can find out what "right" is. I've hunted around on the internet, and looked in the books at the local big box stores, and haven't found anything that addressed this situation specifically. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Old 06-26-08, 02:33 PM

The concept of having J channel sealed against the chimney is good. This will help direct the water the siding sheds.

You should have a primary moisture barrier behind the siding that is flashed at boundaries (windows, doors, chimneys, etc.). If you interior damage is anywhere near a door or window, look to see if it is installed properly with a flashing system.

Unfortunately, you have vinyl siding, which is not intended to be and is NOT waterproof because of the wind and loose fitting overlaps and seams. - So do not go to extremes on one small area.

Dick

Old 06-27-08, 08:53 PM
Group Moderator
Received 576 Votes on 529 Posts
I agree with Dick that the "concept" of having the j-channel there is good. But since your siding appears to be aluminum, and there is not nearly as much movement (expansion and contraction) with aluminum, I think that at this point, it would be pointless to remove the siding and install a j-channel. Either way, the seam at the chimney will need to be caulked, because it is the only way to seal that joint.

As mentioned, with vinyl or aluminum siding, your building paper is your primary seal against leakage. I would be willing to bet that either: 1). there is no building paper between the chimney and the sheathing which has caused the sheathing to rot behind the chimney 2). the building paper was originally installed, but has since degraded and is no longer fully protecting the sheathing from water intrusion 3). your chimney roof flashing is leaking, allowing water to get in from above and it's leaking behind the building paper near the fascia/roof line and running down.

I would suggest you caulk it as-is and see if it helps. If you're planning on leaving the siding on for years to come, use a good urethane sealant such as OSI Quad or Vulkum. If you plan on replacing the siding in the next 5-10 years you could probably use any type of latex caulking you want. Latex doesn't usually hold as tenaciously to brick as urethanes do, so it's easier to chip off down the road, if needed.