stucco walls that go in the ground

Old 06-28-08, 01:48 AM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
stucco walls that go in the ground

I have stucco walls, that go below the landscaping surface.

I am considering digging out a trench, cutting the stucco about 6 inches above the landscape level, removing and removing the low stucco. I have heard this is a good termite prevention, as well as moister control.

1st: are there any negatives to doing this?

2nd: should I seal the bottom of the stucco? Does it need to be able to drain moisture? If I seal it, can/should I use quickcrete?

3rd: If a wall has uneven landscaping, how should I cut the stucco? at an angle, or level revealing more of the slab in some areas?

Thanks for your input.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-08, 04:59 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 261 Votes on 231 Posts
Is your home wood frame construction or block? If block, is the stucco applied directly to the block or does it have wire lath?

Old 06-28-08, 11:23 AM
N
thanks for the reply. wood framed.

Old 06-28-08, 02:57 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 261 Votes on 231 Posts
First you would need to make sure that the wood structure is above where you intend to cut the stucco. 2nd I would think it would be difficult to get a nice even cut [thru stucco and wire] I'm not sure how you would go about making it look nice.

IMO annual termite spray would be a better option. Are you having any moisture issues? Elastromeric paints do a good job of sealing stucco.

Old 06-29-08, 05:59 PM
N
i haven't had any moisture problems. I just don't want to cause any if I seal an area that should be left to drain. But then I will have an area where bugs can enter.

This is more of a preventative maintenance thing. From what i understand from reading, when the stucco goes into the ground, it leaves an ideal area for termites to enter.

I've seen a few companies that advertise doing this, but I'm a diy'er. I would imagine it would be easy to cut with a chalkline and a concrete saw.

thanks for the feedback