How to nail aluimun fasica

Old 07-10-08, 05:35 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to nail aluimun fasica

I'm putting up brown aluimun fasica. It gets a lot of sun and I realize it will buckle some. Someone told me not to nail the face, that will make it buckle a lot. They said just tuck it under the drip edge and nail up from the bottom into the fasica board through the soffet. Others told me to pre drill the holes on the face a little bigger than the nail, this will also help to keep it from buckles. If I just nail up from the bottom, I still have to nail the face where the two seams meet. Is there a right way to nail aluimun fasica so it won't buckle as much?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-08, 05:44 PM
K
I'm putting up brown aluimun fasica. It gets a lot of sun and I realize it will buckle some. Someone told me not to nail the face, that will make it buckle a lot. They said just tuck it under the drip edge and nail up from the bottom into the fasica board through the soffet.

Thats what I have always done, Unless the fascia board is perfectly straight its going to be wavy on the face. If the seam lays flat I would not nail on the face. kinda depends hot tight the held the drip when they put the roof on. remember if you put gutters on that will cover almost all of it anyways. you could always nail thru the bottom and see how it looks, then maybe a nail or two up at the drip in the face. good luck!

Knick

Others told me to pre drill the holes on the face a little bigger than the nail, this will also help to keep it from buckles. If I just nail up from the bottom, I still have to nail the face where the two seams meet. Is there a right way to nail aluimun fasica so it won't buckle as much?[/QUOTE]

Old 07-12-08, 06:30 AM
G
I think I'll pre-drill the holes so the nails aren't as tight in the aluimun, and nail up on the bottom through the soffet. How far apart should I space my nails, either on the bottom or on the face?

Old 07-12-08, 07:23 AM
any dark color is going to oil-can (Buckel) so the best way to fix it is to Pre-Drill but there are a few tricks. let me ask you is your fasica just an L or do you have a 1X2 under the drip edge. what i mean is do you have just 1 bend or is there 3 bends in your fasica? im asking because if you have the 1X2 you can put your holes in the under seam so it doesent oil-can so bad. drill your holes on the ground not on the fasica board. and never put a nail on the lap! put it a inch or two back from it, and as far a how many nails to use you can put them every 2 and a half too 3 feet apart. i hope this helps.

Old 07-12-08, 10:51 AM
G
My fasica is bent out of flat coil stock. I double bent the leg to give it more stiffness. It is just L shaped, but I do have drip edge on the house. What do you think, nail through the leg up through the soffet, maybe one nail up near the drip edge? Or don't nail the face at all.

Old 07-12-08, 12:53 PM
that will work and go ahead and put 1 pre-drilled hole on the lap side under the drip edge holding the last piece up about 3 inches back from the lap. dont nail it tight but close. and keep aan eye on it you might have to add a few nails later. good luck.