Cutting Vinyl Siding While on House

Old 07-11-08, 04:56 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Cutting Vinyl Siding While on House

I recently had a new storm door installed to replace an old wooden one that we had. One problem has occurred since it was installed and I would appreciate any help that anyone could give me on this issue.

Specifically, due to the way the new modern storm door had to be hung we cannot now fully open the door. We have a concrete stepup going to our door and the corner post that is on the short span of siding for this area keeps the door from opening completely. Is it possible to remove this post, trim the siding vertically (only 1-2") while still in place and then replace the corner so the door will be allowed to open more?

If so, what is the best way to do this what tools and is it something that a normal person (me) could do without running into major issues or is this best left to a siding person. I just thought that cutting it without have to remove it might work.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me on this issue!!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-08, 04:05 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
There's a way, but it would help if you were to post a couple of pictures on a site such as photobucket.com and copy/paste the HTML code to your reply post. Letting us see the problem may help immensely.

Old 07-12-08, 07:06 AM
I could not have said it any better Chandler. see Hopperhop we could tell you yea sure and then you run into a nightmare, but if you cant post any pic's just let use know and we'll see what we can do to Help.

Old 07-13-08, 08:38 AM
H
Smile

Well, here it is. I have never done that type of a photo thing on the computer before so I hope that you will be able to see the problem. The door does open, however, it does not open fully due to the restriction on the back side. Thanks for any help you can give!!

http://s329.photobucket.com/albums/l...oor%20Problem/

Old 07-13-08, 10:44 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Perfect! Yeah, you have the worst of situations. Ideally you should have space on both sides of the door, such as a return in the framing so the door would open. Since you contracted for both the siding and the door, I would have a conference with them to determine the best solution. One would be to reduce the width of the storm door and install a new stile on the hinge side, but the door is already purchased and installed, so I would leave it up to the two contractors to solve.

Old 07-13-08, 04:43 PM
oh man. its not that bad but still. what you will have to do, is take it all down. that is just the right side where the door is hitting. and like you were asking, cut the siding about 4 too 5 inches shorter. i also would find a peice of coil stock the same color as the siding or white to match the door and run it from the top down (what 6"X6') then rehang your J channel make sure it's level and get a good measurement then cut your siding a too shorter and rehang it. hope this helps.

Old 07-13-08, 06:32 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I concur with ICB. You'll have to remove all the siding on that short wall/side and 'corner post' in pic 1, and start anew, Littlecheddar.
Depending on the thickness of the wall where the door bell is, you could run a piece of 1x4 or 1x6 fascia board (either smooth side out, probably, or 'combed' side out) to the hight of the wall, to match the depth of the existing, then re-install the 'corner post' and cut your siding to fit.
Its do-able...but takes some finesse.
There is a little hand tool designed to help remove the siding..as it interlocks with the preceeding panel. Each run of siding is nailed (loosely - not nailed down tight - for expansion/contraction) to the wall thru 'slits' on the siding, then the next row tucks up and locks into the previous row.
etc etc...
Hope you get what I/we mean

Old 07-13-08, 07:56 PM
H
Thanks for all of the help and suggestions. Just as a question since you guys seem to be "in the know". How much do you think a siding contractor would charge for a job like this or how long would it take someone in the siding business to complete? I was just wondering so I could get an idea on potential cost. Even though you guys make it sound doable by a regular person, I am afraid that I would screw it up and then, of course, my wife would have to kill me.

Just wonding and thanks for all of your help.

Old 07-14-08, 05:48 PM
Maybe a 1/2 day.
@ $50./hr. + materials
You can do it... - We can Help..!!
(sounds like a commercial....LOL...)

Old 07-14-08, 06:06 PM
this is where home owners get mad. lol... if you can not get mad at the guy, im thinking around $100 for all of it. it will take him longer to unload and load his tools then it will to do the job. and he will be in and out in no time flat. ive done so many jobs to where ive had to drag my feet so the home owner doesent think were messing him over. its like this if the home owner does it, it might take all day, but if someone that does it all the time, bing bang boom DONE, they think what did i just pay for, i could have done that. lol. but like jatco was saying i think you can do this thing. Good luck either way.

Old 07-14-08, 06:15 PM
Hopper/LittleChedder.....
How much 'stuff' (repairs etal) have you done around your home yourself....?
How comfortable are you with the basic tools and such.
If youve done work around your home..and you (and your Mrs') are pleased with the results...
Then you can do this.......!
If not.. then thats why there are people out there that do this...('professionally' - +/- ) and charge accordingly.

Old 07-14-08, 07:28 PM
H
Thanks for all of your help guys!! I will have the company who did the siding originally come out and give me an estimate on the job and decide from there. I am OK at small jobs around the house, but I have no experience with something like this. Hopefully I won't get to much sticker shock from what he says and I can then have the job done professionally!!

I will let you know what he says.

Old 07-14-08, 07:53 PM
Sounds like a plan.
I, 4-1, would be curious to hear their quote.
Let us know.
Thx...and good luck to you..!