Rotten siding

Old 07-26-08, 12:23 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Rotten siding

I am getting ready to paint the exterior of my house. There was some rotton trim around the bottom (It is a manufactured home) where it connects to the skirting. When I pulled the trim off, the siding under it was rotten in a few places where the caulking wasn't done correctly. It is T-111 vertical grain siding. Only a few spots are rotten. If I cut it off, you will be able to see the lines where I patch in new wood. I cant see replacing a full 4x8 sheet of siding. The house is 12 years old. What can I do?
Old 07-26-08, 05:29 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: USA - N.E.Tn
Posts: 45,783
Received 871 Upvotes on 762 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

I assume it isn't regular T-111 but a similiar looking product made out of either OSB or masonite

About the only way you can patch it would be to install a skirt board along the bottom of the siding. You would cut off however much [make sure it isn't wider than a board you can get - 1x12= 11.5"] insert a flashing under the siding that will go over the the skirt board, then slip your board under it and attach it to the walls.
Old 07-26-08, 09:41 PM
XSleeper's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 27,253
Received 1,960 Upvotes on 1,757 Posts
Replace the whole piece of siding.
Old 07-27-08, 07:08 PM
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 49
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
This isn't exactly an easy fix. You basically have a few options. Replace entire sections of T-111. If you have any types of windows or obtrusions to go around, this will make it even more difficult. The next is to make horizontal cuts and replace it in smaller sections. This can be rather unsightly and be sure to use drip cap in between pieces and blocking behind. If blocking isn't used, you will get wavy seams. The last option is if the rot isn't that high up. If the skirting or "freeze boards" are small in dimension , you may be able to cut out a small amount and put a larger skirt or freeze board in. If these board are say, 1x6 and you only need to cut out a couple inches of the T-111, then you could replace with 1x8's or 10's.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: