nailing clapboard siding

Old 07-28-08, 01:47 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
nailing clapboard siding

I have face nailed 1/2" X 6" pine clapboard siding with 5d, stainless steel, small head nails. The nail goes through the bottom of the clapboard and into the wall stud. The nails were set flush with the siding. Now, a few months later, a number of the nails are recessed slightly below the surface as if they had been set with a nail set. What is happening here?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-08, 06:02 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Two scenarios. One, your wood got wet before you primed, painted, stained or finished it, and it swelled a little. Secondly, the wood could be warping away from your studs slightly. The nail is holding in the stud and as the wood moves it countersinks your nail heads. At least they aren't "popping". I don't think it is a need for real concern unless any warping gets obvious.

Old 07-29-08, 05:44 AM
C
Nail vs siding issues

Originally Posted by chandler View Post
Welcome to the forums! Two scenarios. One, your wood got wet before you primed, painted, stained or finished it, and it swelled a little. Secondly, the wood could be warping away from your studs slightly. The nail is holding in the stud and as the wood moves it countersinks your nail heads. At least they aren't "popping". I don't think it is a need for real concern unless any warping gets obvious.
Chandler, thanks for the reply. We made sure that the siding was dry prior to staining. We had it pre-stained, one coat, by a professional staining company that runs it through a staining machine before it was applied on the house. That was my thought that the siding has taken on moisture and is swelling around the nail that is not moving. Any other thoughts are welcome.

Old 07-29-08, 03:53 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Did they stain all sides? If the back wasn't stained or sealed, it can absorb moisture. The reason I ask, is I have to go and replace about 15 ship lap boards, 12" wide for a builder that were installed (thankfully by someone else) over bare OSB, no Tyvek, and sealed only on one side. They are warping severely and pulling from the building

Old 07-30-08, 06:51 AM
C
They were stained all four sides through a staining machine. The stain was oil base semi-transparent. All cut ends were stained prior to installation. The wall sheathing is 1/2" Advantech and the house wrap is Tyvek.

Old 08-01-08, 05:49 PM
K
Stain is only meant to add pigmented color to the wood fiber. Stain only does not seal out moisture. Your wood will expand and contract with the weather. The small head stainless nails were probably ring shank and grab into the studs. Having a smaller head will only encourage it to "sink" into the wood when it expands just like a finish nail would. Just look at it as a small price to pay for the look of real wood.

Old 08-02-08, 03:14 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 261 Votes on 231 Posts
The majority [if not all] exterior siding stains are also a waterproofer/sealant. While a stain will never provide the level of protection that the thicker coating of paint will, a good stain job will seal and protect the wood.

It is always a good idea to apply the last coat of exterior stain after insallation! This will help to seal joints and around the nail heads.