Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Exterior Paneling and All Exterior Sidings
Reload this Page >

Flashing to use between horizontal and vertical siding?

Flashing to use between horizontal and vertical siding?

Old 07-31-08, 10:23 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Flashing to use between horizontal and vertical siding?

Good evening,

I am installing a new window on the south side of my house and decided to replace some of the warped siding and sheeting in the process. Some moisture got in and started to rot some of the siding and sheeting.

My house has a combination of clapboard installed horizontally above shiplap siding installed vertically on the same wall.

No flashing was installed when the house was built in 1963.

I am going to add housewrap, furring strips to create a rainscreen". Both the clapboard (horizontal) and shiplap (vertical) siding will be installed "on top" of the furring strips.

I assume I will need to put some Z flashing between the bottom clapboard and the top of the shiplap siding. Is this right?

Any other ideas or questions?

Thanks,

Bruce

Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-08, 05:41 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Your lines of thinking are correct. Any horizontal breaks in siding that do not lap need flashing. Don't waste your time with caulking. Flash it correctly and it won't leak. You can use caulking on vertical seams to tighten them up. Make sure you install the window on the furring strips just as the siding is installed. Extension jambs on the inside and the window is done. Good luck.