HELP! My add-on is rotting

Old 08-17-08, 03:13 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
HELP! My add-on is rotting

I bought the house I'm in about 4 years ago. It has a back patio that has been converted to a sunroom. The house is about 6 inches higher than ground level, and you step down a single step into the sunroom which is at ground level. The builders of the room put the studs directly onto the ground, then put wood paneling up on the outside, did their insulation and sheetrock. The whole thing is horrible. There are 4 windows on this tiny room all with a western exposure, afternoons are miserably hot. the house is stone of random sizes and so the point where the room butts up to the house there are small air gaps between the wall formed of the mortar gaps between the stones. In exceptionally hard rains sometimes water will run underneath the wall though its small amounts and very rare, perhaps once a year. I recently pulled some of the wood paneling out and discovered that the studs have turned into wood "pudding"

I'm planning on tearing all 3 walls down and starting from scratch with some french doors, and only 2 windows that are smaller. My main problems are I can't afford to redo the slab to allow better drainage. So
#1 How do I keep my studs from rotting... can I put some sort of composite spacer in there.... or some kind of weatherproof flashing, and if so will that help prevent the water from seeping in at times.
#2 What method should I use to interface the flat ends of these walls to the random face of the house.

Any info any of you have would help a great deal.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-08, 05:51 PM
M
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
That's a bit like saying, "I have a boat with holes in the bottom, but I cant afford to plug them. How do I keep the boat from sinking"? I can imagine a whole bunch of "solutions", for example "fill the space between the bottom of the boat and the bottom of the lake with rocks", but IMO they sorta' miss the point.

Old 08-17-08, 06:43 PM
M
Im somewhat familiar with how to frame out walls, and I enjoy doing things myself even if it means messing up sometimes. However, I'm unfamiliar with products that are available out there. It always seems like there is a right product for every problem, and that's what I'm looking for. An alternative to pouring a new slab. If it doesn't exist then say so. I don't appreciate your post, and don't think its conducive to the question.

Analogies are like applesauce -- they often don't make sence. I'll play your little game though. I'm not looking to buy a $180 piece of sheet metal, a 200$ cutting torch and $500 of metal fabrication tools to resheet the entire bottom of the boat... I'm looking for a small 2$ metal patch, a 20$ propane brazing torch and a 1$ stick of durafix.

I apologize if that seems rude. It just seemed like the entire point of your post was to say I was ignorant of the proper way to do things. Point taken, but your overlooked the fact that I already admitted that I was ignorant of a good solution when I sought help on a DIY forum. Do you also enjoy attending the special Olympics to informed the competitors that they are crippled? Who knows... they just may not know yet.

Old 08-17-08, 07:44 PM
you will have to either lower the ground surface around the additon with attendent drainage or raise the concrete surface. I think that you will find that the concrete will be the cheapest. try just adding 2 x 4's for forms around the edges and pouring new concrete over the old. just make sure the surface is clean first. that would be relativly inexpensive to do.

if we aren't supposed to eat animals why are they made out of meat?