failed inspection on new windows

Old 08-26-08, 08:40 AM
Z
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
failed inspection on new windows

Had new windows installed on 9 year old house. J channels removed,siding cut back, and 1X3 trim around windows capped and caulked.
Inspector failed the windows. He states that the siding will move back and forth and caulk will not keep water out. He wants me to have j channel installed under the caps, which will completely change the look that we have( which we like very much). The installer said that he has done this in other towns with no problem.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-08, 08:54 AM
M
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
That installer and his ilk are why I will never be out of work. And that inspector has likely saved you thousands - and possibly tens of thousands - of dollars in damage resulting from water entering the walls.

Old 08-26-08, 09:43 AM
M
(In response to private message asking for more information)

Likely, several aspects of installation incorrect - not just the siding junction, but for example the window installation and flashing as well.

You don't mention the siding type, but from the comment about expansion it sounds like vinyl?

It's very hard to tell what will be needed to straighten this out without knowing a lot more details - did you happen to take any pictures while the work was being done?

Old 08-26-08, 10:39 AM
Z
windows

Vinyl siding it is
Old windows were cut out
j channels removed and siding cut back
new windows installed with 1X stock under windows as filler
aluminum faced wrap applied to framing
windows level and plumb
all joints filled with expanding foam
windows framed outside with 1X4 pine, caulked
capped 1X's with vinyl and caulked. I have pics but am not sure how to attach. Thanks, Paul

Old 08-26-08, 12:26 PM
M
Originally Posted by zippermans View Post
I have pics but am not sure how to attach. Thanks, Paul
Post to someplace like photobucket, then link here.

Old 08-27-08, 02:54 AM
H
Didn't they put the J channel back after they put the trim boards on? If they didn't that would be a problem. It sounds like they didn't put the J channel back and just caulked to the vinyl siding in which case the inspector is right about the caulking not holding due to the expansion and contraction of the vinyl.

Old 08-27-08, 10:59 AM
Z
Problem solved

I talked with two siding professionals that I know personally, and they agree with both of you gentlemen. One of them is going to come over and schedule a time to install the
j channels, and the installer is going to pay for it---imagine that.

The installer's sub tried to convince me that only one side of the siding would expand(the side connecting to the corner j channel, and he suggested that the expansion rate would not be an issue because the siding is 9 years old).

Your help was instrumental when I spoke to the installer, as I had some specific questions and statements based on your responses. Many thanks to you--Paul

Old 08-27-08, 11:39 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Hey Paul...
As an interested bystander...

Maybe the terms are different or I just missed it. Was flashing tape applied over the window flanges? That's if they have flanges of course.

I thought most places required that. I saw the "faced wrap applied to framing" statement. Maybe thats what you were talking about.

Just wondering.

Old 08-27-08, 01:24 PM
Z
to gunguy

They were replacement windows, so before they placed the new windows in the existing opening, I asked them to wrap the framing with the moisture barrier tape. Not sure if it is required, but it made sense to me because they did it with the patio door. The new windows did not have the plastic frame ( flange?) on the front of the windows that overlap the rough-framed opening. Thanks for responding

Old 08-27-08, 01:31 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Ahh ok...so probably same configuration as old?

Anyway, sounds like the inspector just didn't like the siding joint or he would have written more. Flashing is always one of the first things they look for.
Thx for the reply.

Ok...glad it's working out for ya!

Old 08-27-08, 02:17 PM
H
Man, it sounds like a lot of work you need to re-do. That's gotta be frustrating.

Instead of the 1x3 trim, some opt to go with the extra wide window trim casing and undersill trim which does a nice job of hiding the J-channel. Others put in PVC trim and J-channel up to the edge.

It seems like to do this you'd need to replace quite a few pieces of siding since you cut it back. The good news is I really do think that the inspector saved you tons of hassle later. And it sounds like you're well in hand to get it all corrected without quite that much work.

Bottom line is you'll still have a nice frame around the windows which looks nicer that those who opt for J-channel up to a thin window edge (I hate that.)