Caulking Vinyl Siding Where It Meets Windows

Old 08-26-08, 06:53 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Caulking Vinyl Siding Where It Meets Windows

We just moved to Tennessee and bought a house that has Vinyl Siding. (12ft lengths in strips). (House built in 99). Anyway I have noticed that Mud Dobbers (not a lot) have been making their way behind the siding where Vinyl meets the windows. Can I used Caulking to prevent them from getting in there? If so what kind? Also will it hurt to Caulk ALL of window frames that have gaps in them?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-08, 07:23 PM
Group Moderator
Received 576 Votes on 529 Posts
Caulking the outside of the j-channel where it meets the window is one thing... but caulking the siding INSIDE the j-channel is another- actually it would be a big mistake. Not only would you use several CASES of caulk, but it would make a holy mess and could potentially ruin the looks and value of the siding. Vinyl siding needs to have room for expansion and contraction which is why the siding fits loosely inside the j-channel, whereas caulking the ends of the siding shut would pin the end of the siding to the j-channel so that it couldn't move.

I would strongly advise you against that plan.

Old 08-27-08, 06:42 AM
L

Picture is worth a 1000 words. As you can see I have caulked the top 2. The caulking I put in there is like if you were to put Cotton in your ear. It is right there on the surface (not tucked back in)

Thanks Lee

Those are the only 2 I have done...

Old 08-27-08, 11:56 AM
K
Originally Posted by XSleeper View Post
Caulking the outside of the j-channel where it meets the window is one thing... but caulking the siding INSIDE the j-channel is another- actually it would be a big mistake. Not only would you use several CASES of caulk, but it would make a holy mess and could potentially ruin the looks and value of the siding. Vinyl siding needs to have room for expansion and contraction which is why the siding fits loosely inside the j-channel, whereas caulking the ends of the siding shut would pin the end of the siding to the j-channel so that it couldn't move.

I would strongly advise you against that plan.
I'm gonna have to second that opinion. Vinyl siding is meant to be able to move freely with the change in condiitons/temp. You'd only be asking for more of a problem than whatever Mud dobbers are.

Old 08-28-08, 05:14 AM
H
The other thing is that caulk naturally attracts a lot of dirt. In a year or so you'll find that you have some real nasty areas there. I'd also recommend just avoiding it and dealing with the wasps.

Old 08-28-08, 01:37 PM
L
Well thats 3 for 3. I will Not caulk the Siding and just tell my wife that the mud dobbers are putting in extra insulation... Thanks

Old 08-28-08, 01:56 PM
Group Moderator
Received 576 Votes on 529 Posts
Your comment about cotton balls makes me think that maybe they would look just as good... er, bad? as the caulking... could always be removed, allow the siding to move... and satisfy your wife.

Old 08-28-08, 04:28 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
The mud daubers are just storing their spider carcasses for winter in the tubes. They can be washed off with a good force of water, but wait until spring when they will be empty. No matter how much caulking you do (and I wouldn't) you won't stop them. Welcome to the South!

Old 08-28-08, 06:35 PM
L
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
The mud daubers are just storing their spider carcasses for winter in the tubes. They can be washed off with a good force of water, but wait until spring when they will be empty. No matter how much caulking you do (and I wouldn't) you won't stop them. Welcome to the South!
I will not be able to wash it away. That's the problem they are crawling in BEHIND the siding next to the window frame

I may try the cotton balls and see what happens...