need to fix crumbling hardiplank around dormers

Old 08-30-08, 08:58 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
need to fix crumbling hardiplank around dormers

I'm in process of painting a house with Hardiplank siding. The house is in great shape except where the Hardiplank meets the roof along the sides of the dormer windows. Its crumbling into pieces only in these locations and the rest of the planks are fine. Because the windows are on the third floor, I'm looking for the easiest and safest way to fix this myself?? One contractor told me to install J-channels along the edges of the siding and the roof, but I'm not sure if this is the best and how to install them without having to remove the exiting siding?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-08, 10:30 AM
Group Moderator
Received 576 Votes on 529 Posts
First, why is it crumbling? Was it installed too close to the roof in the first place? They recommend 2" minimum clearance. Also, were the ends next to the roof, primed and painted? If so, it should not have failed so soon.

I'd say the easiest thing to do, rather than remove and replace all of it, might be to cut out about 4" of the siding to match the roof line. Sand the cut edge down, prime and paint it. Then install a drip cap under the siding, and a 1x4 under the drip cap.

If the siding is currently too close, you could also cut it up higher, prime and paint without doing any of the above, but the problem would be that when you make the cut you would surely score the flashing and building paper behind the siding, which would mean you'd need to counterflash behind the siding and over the existing roof flashing. So in my mind, the first suggestion is best. Unfortunately nothing is easy when you're 3 stories up.

If the area is small, it might be easier to just tear off and replace the small amount of siding that it would take to do the sides of the dormers. Fiber-cement is quite inexpensive and is easy to install. If you do remove and replace, be sure the proper clearance is provided between the siding and the roof, and that all cut ends are primed and painted.

Adding j-channels will hide the edge of the siding, but not fix the problem, since it will only get worse. It just depends on whether you want a cosmetic solution or a permanent one.