tracking down a vinyl siding manufacturer

Old 09-01-08, 01:26 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
tracking down a vinyl siding manufacturer

I'm trying to find out who makes this siding. It is double 5 dutchlap,and has a rolled edge on the nailing hem. wich led me to think it was alside but its not. Ifound a code on the nailer wich is ac06906-23:17-7 but i cant seem to find a match

Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-08, 05:17 PM
Group Moderator
Received 576 Votes on 529 Posts
Photos are helpful. If you can upload them to a website (either your own, or one like photobucket) you can then paste the link to the pictures here. Then we can have an idea of what the texture looks like, or the appearance of the nailing fin... even the shape of the end of the interlock sometimes is characteristic of a particular brand. Including the length of a full, uncut piece of siding may also help.

The first thing that comes to mind is Alcoa Grand Sierra (GS50), but there may be other similar brands.

image credit: Alcoa

Old 09-02-08, 07:26 PM
C
cliff.b

thanx,I dont have a pic to post, wish I did. ITS a repair job weed eater damage. But the roll on the nail hem is just on the top of the nailer and stops at the top of the nail slots. the code is inked on though not stamped. I wonder if there is any way to track the code? the finish is woodgrain with some extra slot type marks in the grain. if that makes any sense! Its a builders grade panel and not a common brand or I would have known what it was. I'm usually pretty good at knowing my siding but this one has got me stumped. thats why I went to the code,but I dont know how to track the code. any help would be apprieciated. thanx cliff.b

Old 09-02-08, 08:31 PM
Group Moderator
I just realized you said dutch lap. Which way does the hem on top bend- toward you or away from you? And does it have a single nail slot, or a double nail slot? Norandex makes a few types of siding with that half-hem.

image credit: Norandex

The ID numbers don't mean a whole lot- manufacturers use those to track lot numbers, and usually the letters and numbers change from batch to batch.

Old 09-03-08, 05:49 PM
C
cliff.b

the hem rolls to the front,the nail slot is single. and the roll stops at the top of the nail slot. the grain is similar to the kaycan brand. It may have been variform hard to say , another thing that has me stumped is the color if I could even match that I could probably get away with a different finish.but no luck there either. its a gray with a tint of clay. I'm striking out left and right with this one. thats why I fell back on the code I hoped the AC off of the code might have rung a bell with someone Like the grand sierra starts with GS anyway the search goes on. thanks for your help though. All I can figure is iy must be something that has probably been discontinued. still looking. thanx cliff.b

Old 09-08-08, 07:48 PM
Group Moderator
It could be Certainteed "Mainstreet". It's a builders' grade vinyl siding sold thru Menards and other such retailers.

Or perhaps Certainteed Monogram.