Masonite Siding and Roof Job

Old 09-02-08, 03:29 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Masonite Siding and Roof Job

I recently had the roof replaced on my 13 yeard old home (due to storm damage). A few weeks after the roof was completed we had a 15 inch rain storm hit the area. During the storm I went in to my attic an looked for leaks. I did not find a leak.

Two weeks after the storm, I noticed the siding on one side of my house is blistering and buckling. I pressed on the siding with my finger and the siding fell apart. It also felt very moist. The side of the house where the damage is does not get much sun.

The damage starts where the brick foundation begins at the bottom of the house and ends above a bathroom window in the second story. The damage does not extend all the way to the roof. I am not sure of the technical term, (I think it is "gable end"), but it is not a part of the house where there are gutters.

My questions are:
1) Is it possible there is a roof leak causing the damage? If so, how do I detect whether it is from the roof or not. I would think if it was from the roof then the siding would be damaged all the way to the top of the house, but then again I am obviuosly not an expert.

2) If I were to hire someone to tell me where the leak is from, or whether it is just because Masonite deteriorates and has problems, who would you suggest I contact? A home inspector, siding people, another roofer? I plan on contacting the roofer that did the install, but I just would like to know my options because I have reason to believe he will not admit fault, if it comes to that.

Thank You.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-08, 05:07 PM
Group Moderator
Received 576 Votes on 529 Posts
IMO, its unlikely this is a roof leak, unless something strange is occuring with the roof edge/soffit on your gable end. I would just imagine that the window could be the source of the problem and that it has probably been a cumulative effect of years of moisture. When's the last time you inspected the caulking around that window? Probably not recently due to its height. Siding doesn't just become punky in a matter of weeks. A window that is no longer sealed to the siding is something that can go unnoticed for years, and by the time you notice it, it's usually become a major problem.

I would suggest you contact someone who does siding, and see what their inspection shows up. If the rest of the siding is still okay you could ask if they can remove and replace the siding on that one side, trying to match your existing as close as possible.

A home inspector would also be a good one to ask- hopefully impartial.

Old 09-05-08, 05:57 AM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks Xsleeper

Originally Posted by XSleeper View Post
IMO, its unlikely this is a roof leak, unless something strange is occuring with the roof edge/soffit on your gable end. I would just imagine that the window could be the source of the problem and that it has probably been a cumulative effect of years of moisture. When's the last time you inspected the caulking around that window? Probably not recently due to its height. Siding doesn't just become punky in a matter of weeks. A window that is no longer sealed to the siding is something that can go unnoticed for years, and by the time you notice it, it's usually become a major problem.

I would suggest you contact someone who does siding, and see what their inspection shows up. If the rest of the siding is still okay you could ask if they can remove and replace the siding on that one side, trying to match your existing as close as possible.

A home inspector would also be a good one to ask- hopefully impartial.

Thanks for the repsonse.

I had the roofer as well as a siding guy look at the problem. You are correct, it is not the roof. The window is a big problem but not the only problem. There are hairline cracks in the ridges of the siding where it was not properly painted/cailked and the moisture is seeping in. A lot of the damage is around where the nails are set as they were not properly nailed.

Old 09-05-08, 12:31 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
If it is Masonite, it is old anyway, so it has been happening for a long time for it to be pithy to the touch. Good that you called out the pros to look at this, as it could be serious. Nailsetting was a big problem with Masonite, too, and improper nail set would void the warranty.