Can I seal siding to slab?

Old 11-05-08, 04:10 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Can I seal siding to slab?

Hello,

I would like to seal my siding (some sort of composite) to the cement slab to keep out insects, rats, and possibly reduce energy loss. In some places, water has caused the siding to bulge away from the house creating a gap between it and the slab that I think a rat has used to get into the wall of the house.

Can I use a foaming sealant like Great Stuff to seal the bottom of the lowest siding panel to the cement slab? Are there any adverse consequences from doing this?

Thank you!

Old 11-06-08, 02:59 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums! The bottom row of siding, if that close to the slab, should have been flashed with metal up behind the siding about 6" and out under the siding profile, and the flashing is usually adhered to the bottom back bend using an elastomeric caulk. It will help keep moisture from backing up behind the siding. Not sure why the siding was brought that far down, as it is usually stopped and trim is applied with the flashing along the bottom. Great Stuff isn't weatherproof and will deteriorate with sunlight so that isn't an option.

Old 11-06-08, 07:38 PM
D
Thanks for the welcome and thanks for your advice!

Do you have any suggestions for products I could use to seal this other than Great Stuff?

By the way, I'm just up the street in Fayette County.

Old 11-07-08, 04:11 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Hey, grew up in Forest Park, so we are neighbors. I just took the plunge and moved to the mountains. Cooler, no traffic, quieter. Anyway, the brand name escapes me, but just about any elastomeric sealant will work. It will remain flexible so with the changes in temperature it won't crack.....that's it, Big Stretch, that's the name.

Old 11-07-08, 04:50 PM
D
I'm actually heading up your way and beyond tomorrow morning to go leaf looking all day.

I looked up Big Stretch and it says it will seal a gap up to 2 inches wide so it seems like it will work. I'm not sure how I can fill a 2 inch gap with that small of a tip and not have it sag completely out of the gap since it will be hanging upside down with nothing to support it, but I'll do some more learning and see exactly how to use this stuff.

Again, thanks a lot for your help chandler!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: