Attaching Siding from inside

Old 11-11-08, 09:24 AM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Attaching Siding from inside

Hi, I have just bought a renovation property and have found that the outside wall studs and sheathing have rotted away. This home is a 1/2 duplex and so we can't replace siding on just our side. How do we replace the wall from the inside and re-attach the siding from the inside. We are in Central Alberta, and due to weather can't leave wall open.

Thanks

Old 11-11-08, 11:15 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Re: Attaching Siding from the inside out.

It really depends on what kind of siding it is but to be blunt, it is not an easy task. If you have rotten studs that you will want to replace you will surely have to remove the siding @ the same time that you remove the studs. The reason for this is because the siding is more than likely attached to the studs and if its not then it is attached to the sheathing which is attached to the studs. From experience I can tell you that your best bet will be to either wait until the weather warms up and do a complete replacement when its okay to have your home open to the elements, or build a temporary structure that will serve as your exterior wall that you can attach a heavy mil plastic to and will shield the interior from the outside. If I were in your shoes I would wait until the weather warms up. It will save you time money and most important, heartache

Old 11-11-08, 12:40 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Replacing wall studs and sheathing from the inside is not feasible. It would be comparable to trying to change the spark plugs in your car from the back seat. IMO, you should consider removing your existing siding, either matching or replacing it. If it means replacing all the siding on one side of the home so that it all matches, so be it. If you're short on funds and can't do the siding on an entire side of the home, you could always run a vertical batten up the middle of the home and divide the siding into two separate halves to limit the amount that needs to be torn off and replaced. The other half could be done at a later time or not at all.

Depending on what kind of siding you have, it's also possible that most- if not all- could all be removed, salvaged, and reinstalled after the sheathing and studs have been replaced.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: