Window Jamb question??

Old 11-28-08, 01:38 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Window Jamb question??

when you frame out a winodw opening with 2 x 4's, do we cover the 2 x 4's with any pine to form a jamb or does the new construction window have a 1/2 pine frame that goes directly over the 2 x 4's?
2) if we put in a new construction window and 10 years later wnat a new window,we rip the old window out but leave ion the pine frame; is that the original jamb that came with the replacement window?

Old 11-28-08, 01:48 PM
B
New windows come with jambs. Replacement windows use the existing jamb.

Quote: 2) if we put in a new construction window and 10 years later wnat a new window,we rip the old window out but leave ion the pine frame; is that the original jamb that came with the replacement window?

I do not understand this.

Old 11-28-08, 01:57 PM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Well, vinyl new construction windows can come with or without jambs. It depends on what you order.

I don't get the second statement either...but..

If you get an extension jamb factory applied on a vinyl window, it's not coming off easily. They are normally stapled to the window.

Old 11-28-08, 02:11 PM
B
Whether you get vinyl or wood new construction windows the jamb comes with the window. It may be made completely of vinyl but it is still considered a jamb.

Old 11-28-08, 03:12 PM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Hey Bill62, I wasn't trying to argue. But if you just buy/order a vinyl new construction window without the appropriate depth extension jamb, you'll either be doing a sheetrock return or making your own jambs, at least in my experience. Vinyl N/C windows only have a frame depth of about 1 1/2" to the interior edge past the nailing flange. Thats all I was trying to say, not very clearly I guess.

Old 11-28-08, 05:05 PM
K
when you frame out a new opening and get a new construction window,the new window comes with a jamb frame(pine,which goes over the 2 x 4's in the opening. if ten years later i want a replacement window,i remove the old window sash's but keep that pine jamb frame in. we then install the new replacement window in the opening over the old jamb frame which i think is a 1 x 4. the 1 x 4 is what you are probably referring to when you say a "piece of pine over the 2 x 4.

Old 11-28-08, 05:37 PM
B
Sorry Gunguy45, I find it hard to convey thoughts in writing sometimes without it sounding bad. I wasn't thinking of extension jambs.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: