Trim for new windows w/vinyl siding???

Old 11-30-08, 12:52 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Arrow Trim for new windows w/vinyl siding???

Hi,

We need to replace 17 windows in our house that has 15 yr.ld vinyl siding that's in good shape. No problem for me to pull the old windows and put in the new, except for the trim.

Currently everything is trimmed in aluminum - something I have no experience or interest in doing. Is it possible to use a composite trim product instead of the aluminum? If so, how does that work with the need to overlap the vinyl siding edges and look finished?

Thanks guys.

Old 11-30-08, 04:11 PM
Group Moderator
Received 844 Votes on 774 Posts
Since you are asking about retrimming the exterior, I'm assuming you are not getting replacement windows, where you retrofit the new window into the pocket where the old sashes were.

New construction windows come with a nailing flange, and usually require you to resize the rough opening a little bit by padding the rough opening down in size a little- or in some cases not at all. I'm guessing this is what you're planning on using.

The answer to your question is probably not as simple as you would like. There are several issues one encounters when you go to replace windows.

Some of it depends on whether or not the old face trim of your windows can be removed without disturbing the vinyl siding. Another issue relates to the flashing of the new window- incorporating it into your existing water resistive barrier (WRB). To do this properly, it sometimes means you will have to remove some j-channel and vinyl siding around the opening- such as to facilitate adding a drip cap above your new trim.

Having said that, the short answer to your question would be YES, it's certainly possible to use composite trim. In all liklihood you'd want to carefully center the window between your existing j-channels, and you'd need to rip the composite trim down to size so that it would fit exactly the way you want.

In cases where the j-channel has to come off anyway, it's almost better to plan on making the trim just a little bigger than it was before, install new j-channel all the way around, and then possible cut a little more off the siding as needed as you go to put it back on. When you do that you can make everthing look a little more symetrical, like the windows had always been there... not goofy with different sizes of trim on all 4 sides. It just depends.

Old 11-30-08, 08:12 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the detailed answer XSleeper.

Well... we started with the idea of replacement windows. Then my wife was unhappy with the smaller glass area and wants to change 5 windows to 16" taller units. Simonton (the chosen brand) will make any size we want, so (except for the 5), fitting the existing window openings is not an issue.

The current trim is an elaborate (I think) custom fabrication of alum. that I guess has a top J channel, but the rest is trimmed to look like wood molding with about a 2-1/2" overlap on the vinyl on the sides, and an all aluminum sill.

When we had replacement window guys come out, one pointed out that the alum. trim has to be replaced because it would fall short of replacement windows that don't have storm window frames like we now have.

Also, is it a complication that the siding is over wood shakes with the original wood trim under the aluminum (cover) trim?

Thanks again.

Old 11-30-08, 08:55 PM
Group Moderator
Received 844 Votes on 774 Posts
It does sound like you have some sort of elaborate aluminum trim details. And yes, if the existing wood window trim is now buried behind your vinyl siding (sometimes siding installers do that) then it will be a bit more difficult for you to remove the old windows, flash them properly, and retrim. I'm not sure this is the sort of thing where a guy can give you specific advice sight unseen.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: